Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yall know the fan thats on the side of the motor? well why not redirect the air flow from it into the intake or make a secondary intake just for it? anybody ever tried it?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
so yall know the fan thats on the side of the motor? well why not redirect the air flow from it into the intake or make a secondary intake just for it? anybody ever tried it?
Oh, be careful! That would get you at least 375 HP and you are sure to break something. LOL.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha good one. but im serious. wouldnt it increase airflow significantly and if it pressurized intake then force air in under the motors power acting almost as a turbo. its like hooking a leaf blower to the intake.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
haha good one. but im serious. wouldnt it increase airflow significantly and if it pressurized intake then force air in under the motors power acting almost as a turbo. its like hooking a leaf blower to the intake.
There have been electric superchargers sold to do this very thing. Problem is that they don't work worth beans. It takes a lot of horsepower to pump enough air to create the extra horsepower to create the pressure needed to have more available horsepower. An engine in boost is really sucking the fuel; not very efficient.

On top of that, a regular fan is only capable of building up pressures measuring fractions of an inch of water pressure. An inch of water pressure is only 0.036 PSI, nothing like the many PSI that is needed for a reasonable boost. Superchargers are usually a scroll compressor and turbochargers are very efficient vane compressors with very highly engineered duct shapes, running at many, many, thousands of RPM. . If anything, a fan can get cooler air to the intake which gives you a smidgen more power. However, it will wreak havoc on the Constant Velocity carb (disturb the calibration of the diaphragm lift of the slide), probably worse than the snorkel problems that most people fight.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i was lookin for. now because of the power fail because of the pressurized fan turbo, what about just running piping up beside the air intake and have the air flowing out toward the intake. thus increasing air flow by pulling cooler air that is coming from under the vehicle up and blowing it into the area of the air intake increasing the cold air supply in that area.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
thats what i was lookin for. now because of the power fail because of the pressurized fan turbo, what about just running piping up beside the air intake and have the air flowing out toward the intake. thus increasing air flow by pulling cooler air that is coming from under the vehicle up and blowing it into the area of the air intake increasing the cold air supply in that area.
Piping clean cool air up to the airbox is a workable thing. The problem with the "leaf-blower" on the engine is that the intake is in the hot engine compartment and just as dirty as the air around the airbox. The later 660's had a little 'snorkle' to draw air in from the cab, but that was restrictive and noisier to boot.

On my '04, I ran 3 separate 2" thin-wall vacuum tubing (vacuum cleaner in garage and these pipes in the walls) runs through the driveline hump and up under the hood. The fittings are swept well and are designed for good airflow, so it makes for good air ducting. These were really convoluted to negotiate the passageway and were attached under and on the sides of the stock airbox with flanged end fittings from the same source. No fan, but it certainly worked due to the higher air pressure under the hood. I would have to clean the air filter less often and there were multiple places where you could see the air coming in as dirtier patches on the air filter. Kind of like the 700 scheme but this was in 2005 or so.

As you can see below, it is a really tight squeeze to fit it all in within the engine shroud and floor hump :) I probably spent way too much time on this, LOL.

BTW, the original air inlet at the top is still functional, so this is just additional air into the airbox.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool idea, so did you see any performance gains?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so its not really worth it unless i just turn the fan direction up toward the airbox and there not much gains

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well its just pulling air from the lower part of the vehicle which should be cooler because of the holes in the bottom and just supplies the area of the air box with cooler air. based off what ive seen so far i would probably make a .4% increase in power lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but then thinking about it, i cant use the fan anyway because itll bog the motor down in the water

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really? Lol I got that part. That's why it won't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts