Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to add an automotive style alternator to my '04 rhino and I am wondering who has the best kit for the price and how they hold up in wet conditions? Also, I would like to take a crack at custom building it myself. Can anyone give advice about where to get the pulleys, belt, etc.? I can build any necessary bracketry myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have the ALBA kit coming. Sorry no news about it yet but i'll have a full review to come.
My friend who camps with us at Glamis bought the Alba kit and loves it. Never a dead battery and he runs 2 Amps and a lot of lights. It seems to be a good kit. I'm just waiting for the good price on it. I heard that they were selling it for $350. at the Sand Show.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Stetler, I bought mine from RhinoCrap, Nick made me a great deal, and it was an excellent kit. I run seven Hella 55w, 2 amps, stereo on my Odyssey battery, with no problems what so ever. Give Nick a call.:alcoholic:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Stetler, I bought mine from RhinoCrap, Nick made me a great deal, and it was an excellent kit. I run seven Hella 55w, 2 amps, stereo on my Odyssey battery, with no problems what so ever. Give Nick a call.:alcoholic:
Thanks for the link. I just got home with some new paddles and smoothies so I'm going to have to wait until next month to get the alternator but I will hit him up if I don't come accross a better deal. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
the problem with this system is the alternator is hard mounted to the frame and uses a tensioner. the other kits have the alternator hard mounted to the motor so it doesnot need a tensioner.
OK , Thanks for the info. That just changed my mind about this system. I have read post about mounting it to the frame and it being a problem due to engine vibration.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yeah, you definitely want the alternator mounted to the motor and not the frame, or you will be throwing belts all the time.

This is the kit I have, from UTV Specialties. Im not sure if he is still in business. But I really like the kit, and the mount is pretty beefy. So far so good.

Only downside Ive found, is these setups put the alternator pretty close to the exhaust on some setups (like my Pro Circuit duals). But some header wrap just for the 4" of pipe that are near the alt should solve that. If I had to do it again, Id probably do the kit that puts the alt towards the front of the motor, instead of the back. Cant remember where I saw it though...

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The Alba kit definitely looks great. I too like that it goes towards the front of the engine, and I like that it has a side support behind the alternator, so the aluminum bracket wont flex side to side. And I really like the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
only problem i see with having the alt to the front would be the aluminum dip stick extension might not work???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts