Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rhino has a HMF slip on muffler now, but it is done. I have a silencer on it just to make it tollerable. The guy that owned the Rhino before me has re-jetted the carb, so I will stay with aftermarket rather than go back stock. I would like to go with just the slip on muffler than go with dual exhaust. I am looking for one that is as close to stock sound (quiet as possible), but still has decent performance. I do not want to use the silencer on this one. I hunt out of my Rhino so loud is out.....

Here are the exhaust I have checked this far:
EVO Big Gun
Motoworks SR4
Muzzy slip on
Yoshimura RS5/RS8

Let's hear some input on these or any other suggestions......

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Slip on is a waste of money. You won't see any gains... just more noise. MAAAAYBE 1 or 2hp, but even that is doubtful.

To really wake it up, you need a full system - the stock header is ridiculously restrictive, and opening it up with aftermarket duals is the best way to go.,

Since loud is out - best bet is dual muzzy's with the silent cores... not much louder than stock apparently. I have a Ron Wood pipe with supertrapp tip, and at low rpms it's not really loud. When you're up in the rpms it really screams!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've got the dual muzzy's with the whisper cores and the UtvInc. turndown pipes and it's a bit quieter than stock with a much better sound.

I agree with canucklehead above.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the dual muzzy's with the whisper cores and the UtvInc. turndown pipes and it's a bit quieter than stock with a much better sound.

I agree with canucklehead above.
I had no idea that dual setups could possibly be as quiet as stock. I may have to re-think this whole thing. I am not looking particularly for better performance, so would a single Muzzy with the quiet core work for me?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slip on is a waste of money. You won't see any gains... just more noise. MAAAAYBE 1 or 2hp, but even that is doubtful.

To really wake it up, you need a full system - the stock header is ridiculously restrictive, and opening it up with aftermarket duals is the best way to go.,

Since loud is out - best bet is dual muzzy's with the silent cores... not much louder than stock apparently. I have a Ron Wood pipe with supertrapp tip, and at low rpms it's not really loud. When you're up in the rpms it really screams!!
Thanks for the input....again not looking for additional performance, but loud is out. If dual has better possibilities of quiet and performance then I may need to go that way.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if not looking for performance why not just get stock muffler? or just out a tip on it and save you some $$
I could go back to original, but I would have to buy an OEM muffler ($200) and re-jet the carb back to original (don't have the original jets). Now don't get me wrong.....I like good performance, but I am not focused on it...more on loudness (or more so quietness). So...I am not sure I will save any money going back to stock and I don't want to lose any performance (you can see what I have in my signature).

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
if not looking for performance why not just get stock muffler? or just out a tip on it and save you some $$
I could go back to original, but I would have to buy an OEM muffler ($200) and re-jet the carb back to original (don't have the original jets). Now don't get me wrong.....I like good performance, but I am not focused on it...more on loudness (or more so quietness). So...I am not sure I will save any money going back to stock and I don't want to lose any performance (you can see what I have in my signature).

Thanks
I am seeking the same results, during my research the ALBA muffler seemed to be quiet, and didnt sacrafice performance. It never needs maintenance (i.e. re-packing) and is not terribly expensive ($499) . Check out YouTube to see a video of it on a Rhino. I have one ordered and it should be here shortly, I will let you know the results. --- John

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
canucklehead and I agree again... :)

Not sure what your intake is I am not familiar with it...but there is a lot to be gained there over stock with no noise added...if you don't go in deep water...

Johnny and dbestduner are both right too...

The Alba is a good exhaust with good performance and if you don't care you are better off getting a used stock can for way way way less the $200...

Some people like the way the alba sounds... I hate it... but it is good quality, fit, no maintenance...price if very fair...makes it a top contender all things considered...

I put a super-trapp on my alba back in the day and found the exact same result as Dave (canucklehead)... if I removed enough plates to make it any quieter at full throttle it started killing power but at least the super-trapp knocked the idle down closer to stock...

I do not believe that the muzzy's with cores are quieter than stock...and you definitely can't get full power with the cores...they are a top performer and the best quality of sound even without the cores imo...definitely the best looking...

I sold a whole stock exhaust can and billet tip in brand new condition recently for $99 shipped...

Your signature says you have a dyno-jet kit...if that is so...don't use the needle if you still have the stock one...get the right pilot jet for it...it's probably still stock...and your dyno-jet jet kit comes with jets EQUAL TO AND SMALLER than stock...

A good high flow intake with stock exhaust will typically require a much larger than stock main jet...

How much larger would depend on elevation and temperature...

I think your concerns about the price of a stock can and having to jet the carb are completely un-justified... I would ignore those as considerations...especially given how cheap and easy it is to jet the stock carb...and going to any other exhaust with a different flow will require re-jetting...be it a high performance or stock either one...

I would bet that if we took your 660 with stock exhaust and our best intake with correct jetting it would be infinitely quieter and just as fast if not faster and on a low budget as well...

It just wouldn't SOUND as fast... LOL...

Now that would not be true if you got a really good performance exhaust with our intake and correct jetting...then it would be louder and faster... :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am seeking the same results, during my research the ALBA muffler seemed to be quiet, and didnt sacrafice performance. It never needs maintenance (i.e. re-packing) and is not terribly expensive ($499) . Check out YouTube to see a video of it on a Rhino. I have one ordered and it should be here shortly, I will let you know the results. --- John[/QUOTE]

I will check that out....is the $499 for a single or dual set up?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
canucklehead and I agree again... :)

Not sure what your intake is I am not familiar with it...but there is a lot to be gained there over stock with no noise added...if you don't go in deep water...

Johnny and dbestduner are both right too...

The Alba is a good exhaust with good performance and if you don't care you are better off getting a used stock can for way way way less the $200...

Some people like the way the alba sounds... I hate it... but it is good quality, fit, no maintenance...price if very fair...makes it a top contender all things considered...

I put a super-trapp on my alba back in the day and found the exact same result as Dave (canucklehead)... if I removed enough plates to make it any quieter at full throttle it started killing power but at least the super-trapp knocked the idle down closer to stock...

I do not believe that the muzzy's with cores are quieter than stock...and you definitely can't get full power with the cores...they are a top performer and the best quality of sound even without the cores imo...definitely the best looking...

I sold a whole stock exhaust can and billet tip in brand new condition recently for $99 shipped...

Your signature says you have a dyno-jet kit...if that is so...don't use the needle if you still have the stock one...get the right pilot jet for it...it's probably still stock...and your dyno-jet jet kit comes with jets EQUAL TO AND SMALLER than stock...

A good high flow intake with stock exhaust will typically require a much larger than stock main jet...

How much larger would depend on elevation and temperature...

I think your concerns about the price of a stock can and having to jet the carb are completely un-justified... I would ignore those as considerations...especially given how cheap and easy it is to jet the stock carb...and going to any other exhaust with a different flow will require re-jetting...be it a high performance or stock either one...

I would bet that if we took your 660 with stock exhaust and our best intake with correct jetting it would be infinitely quieter and just as fast if not faster and on a low budget as well...

It just wouldn't SOUND as fast... LOL...

Now that would not be true if you got a really good performance exhaust with our intake and correct jetting...then it would be louder and faster... :)
Lots of good information as usual Craig....The $200 was for a new OEM muffler. I did see one here just posted a few days ago for $50. I took a look in my storage and found the origianl jets. It may run fine with the jets in place now with a stock exhaust. I may go back to OEM just to keep down the loudness. If I get too loud....hunting out of the Rhino is not an advantage.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I forgot to mention also that the Ron Woods is a top performer....

And there is a ceramic coated one for sale on the home page of this forum right now for $300... great deal imo...not sure if it has the super trapp or not...

If the way it sounds and looks is important to you...

GET THE MUZZY'S...

And you cannot go wrong with the power when the cores are out...

The stock can is still your cheapest way out and at least as much low end power if not more than what you have now...

Anybody that says the Alba is quiet is DEAF ... I am not saying that to be mean... I have that pipe and give it a good endorsement overall... it's just true... :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Take a look at the ALBA system. Uses a Flowmaster can and doesn't ever need repacking. Sounds great too. ---- John
This is a myth! The Alba system does function well, but the muffler DOES have packing and DOES wear out. However, it can NOT be repacked whenever that occurs. I have had several through our shop that were very loud.

To the OP, you have received very sound advice already (no pun intended).
If you don't care about performance, put a stock muffler on it. If you want aftermarket and/or some performance, Muzzys with the optional whisper cores is the ONLY exhaust to consider!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but..

Suppose a guy were gonna fab his own header.

Which "slip on" would be best?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but..

Suppose a guy were gonna fab his own header.

Which "slip on" would be best?
Brandon, build 1.5" OD headpipes (18 or 20 gauge), 18-22" long. Then you can run a pair of these mufflers I have custom made. They are all stainless and are repackable. We ran these on the Flying Banana race Rhino.

I can bring a pair of them to Glamis tomorrow if you want!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Take a look at the ALBA system. Uses a Flowmaster can and doesn't ever need repacking. Sounds great too. ---- John
This is a myth! The Alba system does function well, but the muffler DOES have packing and DOES wear out. However, it can NOT be repacked whenever that occurs. I have had several through our shop that were very loud.QUOTE]

Sorry Chris but I must disagree. In the how many years we have been manufacturing that exhaust system we have only seen 3 go bad. All 3 were caused by a customer adding paint or a heat treating to the outside of the canister which retained too much heat. Besides, Flowmaster Hushpower HP-2 mufflers carry a lifetime warranty and if a problem does occur you dont have to re-pack it... you simply get a NEW one!!!

Nate
Alba Racing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.