Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the rhino out for a ride last weekend when my exhaust suddenly got louder. Looked at ti and noticed one header was hanging and the stud had broken flush with the head. I have barkers duals. What could have caused this and can I get the stud out without removing the head? Doesnt look like I have a lot of room in there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you install the exhaust yourself?How many ft lbs did you torque them too?The manual says 11 lbs-Thats not much!I screwed mine up by over tightning them and had the same thing happen-Broke off deep in the head-The dealer was going to charge me 250$ to remove & rpl the head on the "Attempt" to remove the broke stud.One of my buddys says he eazyouts stuff like that all the time.It didnt work & ruined the head.Found a complete head on ebay off a new wrecked rhino and went that route.Reguardless if you fix your head-If you have to take the head off-The cam has to come out-upgrade the cam-your lookin at the piston-upgrade that!Sucks to have a broken stud,but I used the opportunity to upgrade things I might not have done if I had not had to dive into the cylinder head.Just a thought-Good luck

·
Registered
419 Posts
I broke 2 on my Rhino. It was real close to a planned trip so I ordered the KMS header stud kit, took it to a muffler shop and for 60.00 they removed the broken ones out of the head, and installed all the new ones for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The head is aluminium, and the studs are steel. Get a bolt and weld it to the broken part of the stud. Then it should just twist out. The weld won't stick to the head because its not the same metal. This worked for me

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The head is aluminium, and the studs are steel. Get a bolt and weld it to the broken part of the stud. Then it should just twist out. The weld won't stick to the head because its not the same metal. This worked for me
Im gonna try that today

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are you guys able to do this welding trick with the cylinderhead still on the engine?Will this work if the stud is broke off 1/4" below flush?For future knowlage-Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After looking at it more today, this is going to be a total *****! Its the inside stud and I doubt Ill be able to get in there, hold a nut, then weld. So it looks like its time to get the bbk and get the head ported!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts