Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to take my 07 450 out for my 1st trail ride. What are the essential tools and spare parts I should carry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ours has been pretty reliable compared to the Rzr's we ride with. I have not yet had an issue on the trails. I would throw a spare in the buggy and at least something to change it with. If you are riding with multiple people see what tools they have and compare so you all aren't carrying multiple things. A pressure washer filled with water to clean your radiator for sure, overheating has been my only issue on the trail I have ever had. Plenty of ice for the cooler too ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would carry a small tool box with the basic tools , electric tape ,duck tape , zip ties , and fuses .. as well as posted above water , but I would add a qt of oil and if you don't have a winch bring a comealong .

TS2

·
Registered
121 Posts
To add to this ^^^^

A tow strap, tire plugs, spare belt (and tools needed to change). I also bring a compact backpacking cook kit, spare food & water, and a tarp for an emergency shelter/wind block/vapor barrier. A piece of tyvek also makes for a light, compact and durable ground cloth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To add to this ^^^^

A tow strap, tire plugs, spare belt (and tools needed to change). I also bring a compact backpacking cook kit, spare food & water, and a tarp for an emergency shelter/wind block/vapor barrier. A piece of tyvek also makes for a light, compact and durable ground cloth.
So basically the Boy Scout 10 essentials? Lol

·
Holiday Winner!
517 Posts
A good knife has lots of uses. A small 12v air compressor can be very handy. It has been said before, but water is probably the most important as there are a number of things you may want water for: Drinking, washing, coolant, etc. A jack is not only helpful for changing tires, but can be a handy tool for getting unstuck. A mobile phone and charger can save the day. I do a lot of riding where there is not phone coverage, but I have been lucky in that when I have had issues I have been able to walk to someplace (usually the top of a hill) with coverage. Although it is not something to bring, knowing where you are is a valuable piece of information. I once got high centered and had to call for help. I was able to give turn by turn directions from my house to where I was, but i could not have offered an alternative route to someone coming from another direction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been stuck out in the cold with a dead battery and it is no fun. Learned my lesson. We carry a light and lean tool kit with the essential sizes and tools we would need, extra spark plug etc. I wrote an article on 6 things we carry along with us. Mini air compressor, plug kit, small jump pack, these little dudes have come a long way since the days of carrying a 50 pound almost full battery size unit with you. Here is the article I wrote on it. Build your own Emergency Kit for the Trail - 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've been stuck out in the cold with a dead battery and it is no fun. Learned my lesson. We carry a light and lean tool kit with the essential sizes and tools we would need, extra spark plug etc. I wrote an article on 6 things we carry along with us. Mini air compressor, plug kit, small jump pack, these little dudes have come a long way since the days of carrying a 50 pound almost full battery size unit with you. Here is the article I wrote on it. Build your own Emergency Kit for the Trail - 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair
Good article! I have the OEM cargo box on my Rhino and it is packed full with all you mentioned plus a whole lot more. I must sill have a little Boy Scout left in me as I stay prepared for everything short of Armageddon. :LOL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts