Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my father has a rhino and told me he wanted to get his Rhino to go alot faster but still wanted the reliability. I told him I have heard of people doing engine swaps and getting insane HP. The prob is my father and I are not mechanics and would not know the first thing about doing something like this. Is there any shops that do these things? I would be looking for a place in southern CA or Lake Havasu City AZ.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You should contact BrianB on this forum...

Look in the vendor section for RYR (rotax your rhino)

He sells conversion kits for the Rotax 800 v-twin motor found in can-am outlander and renegage...those are efi motors with a CVT...

Also Cognito Motorsports can give you info on streetbike motor conversions if you want insane top speed with manual transmission...

http://www.rhinoforums.net/rotax-your-rhino/56360-bought-rotax-rhino-some-questions.html

------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
There's lots of good info in the Engine Swap section on this forum.

Engine Swap - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net

So there are two main swaps to do.

Rotax = keep 4WD and reverse, automatic and easy to drive.

R1= loose 4WD (generally. although there is one guys that claims you can keep it), and you can retain reverse depending on your budget. Manual shifting unless you find an RX1 (R1 motor in a snowmobile).

I've done an R1 swap and, like many others, I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
engine swap

i have a 06 rhino and 03 r1 motor i want to do a swap is there a kit or a list of things i need help me please

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Weller Racing and Darkside Fab make "kits." If you have the ability to perform minor fabrication, then you can put your own kit together. There are many of us here that can help but I would strongly suggest investing a couple of hours and research (use the SEARCH feature on this site) what others have done.

Sent from my wrecked R1 Rhino...

·
Registered
731 Posts
You need to ask yourself a few questions.

Do you need/want 4WD?

Do you need/want reverse?

Do you want automatic shift or manual shift?

There are some very good engine swap kits, but you have to do the work (or hire someone). Do you have the skill, tools, place and time to do a "bolt in" swap?

Do you want to be without your Rhino, while the work is being done?

Lastly, how much money do you have to spend?

If you keep checking this forum, you will find some "screamer" deals on Rhinos that have had engine swaps done to them. I have seen some sell for less than $10K, with lots and lots of extras, in addition to the engine swap.

You might want to think about buying a Rhino with the engine swap done already.

BTW - my engine swap project (1200cc VMAX engine and keeping 4WD) has been going on for years, but I have enjoyed the challenge. Fortunately, I bought a titled frame to do the swap. So, my Rhino was never taken apart.

Jim

·
Banned
322 Posts
the v-max swap sponds cool jim you do mean the street bike motor right , I have one 4 sale that has been converted to chain drive

·
Registered
731 Posts
the v-max swap sponds cool jim you do mean the street bike motor right , I have one 4 sale that has been converted to chain drive
Yep, 1998 engine. Here is the link to the build. A guy who went by "R1-Rhino" came up with the SKIDOO tranny, as a divorced transfer case, idea. I am using a different "through shaft" and shifter than what he did.

Here is a link to his build. http://www.rhinoforums.net/engine-swap/21086-r1-engine-swap-keep-4x4-gearbox-pics.html

I almost have the driveline issues worked out (a real pain in the A$$). Every time I think I got it, another problem pops up. I just beat them down one at a time.

The VMAX engine is physically huge and the swap was like stuffing 10 pounds of Chit in a five pound bag.

Jim

http://www.rhinoforums.net/engine-swap/39541-vmax-engine-skidoo-tranny-swap.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts