Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2006 rhino 450 last year. Had no issues with it. Did replace the fuel pump, put in an oem pump. The previous owner had tried an electronic one and there was always gas dripping/running from the carburetor drain(overflow?) tube. The mechanical pump fixed that annoyance.
A few weeks ago, out of the blue, whenever I would try to accelerate it would sputter and eventually get to the point where any acceleration of the engine and it spits and sputters, high or low or reverse or neutral. Same thing.
Finally got it ok not barn. Tried to run it a few times, no go. Removed seats and air filter to expose carb and engine. Started and ran fine. Ran fine for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, did the same thing. I did notice, that there seemed to be alot of fuel dripping from the carburetor again.
I just use this for chores around the house. I am not an engine expert, so any advice is very much appreciated. I did call the local dealer and he said probably a worn valve (?) in the carb?
Any help out there? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like your carburetor float is sticking or some dirt has the needle valve not shutting off. Did you install new fuel filter? The float and needle valve are on the bottom of carburetor, remove 4 screws and inspect float assembly. There is a float level setting you can check at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I changed the fuel filter last year shortly after I bought it - did all the maintenance then. Hadn't done any this year yet.

Can you explain more about the float level setting?

Thanks
I bought a used 2006 rhino 450 last year. Had no issues with it. Did replace the fuel pump, put in an oem pump. The previous owner had tried an electronic one and there was always gas dripping/running from the carburetor drain(overflow?) tube. The mechanical pump fixed that annoyance.
A few weeks ago, out of the blue, whenever I would try to accelerate it would sputter and eventually get to the point where any acceleration of the engine and it spits and sputters, high or low or reverse or neutral. Same thing.
Finally got it into barn. Tried to run it a few times, no go. Removed seats and air filter to expose carb and engine. Started and ran fine. Ran fine for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, did the same thing. I did notice, that there seemed to be alot of fuel dripping from the carburetor again.
I just use this for chores around the house. I am not an engine expert, so any advice is very much appreciated. I did call the local dealer and he said probably a worn valve (?) in the carb?
Any help out there? Thanks
Sounds like your carburetor float is sticking or some dirt has the needle valve not shutting off. Did you install new fuel filter? The float and needle valve are on the bottom of carburetor, remove 4 screws and inspect float assembly. There is a float level setting you can check at the same time.
I took the 4 screws out. The cap is loose, but it will not come off the bottom of the carb. Hanging up on something towards the rear of the carb??? Not sure what and don't know if there's something else is still holding it?
Got it apart. Gas in bottom of the carb very dirty. Not sure why with a new fuel filter. Runs fine now, we'll see for how long. Still drips some fuel, but not like before.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts