Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Drain it. remove filter. Replace filter with new one. Refill oil. Simple!

The drain plug is located underneath the center, and the hole through the skid plate where its located is oblong, not round like the rest. 17mm wrench, remove the plug, drain, replace plug (snug, don't over tighten). Fill oil through the dipstick hole... About 2.5 litres. Rotella T 15w40 is what I normally use. Just make sure the oil is not labelled "energy conserving" on the little API label on the back and you're golden.

I usually change the filter every two to three changes. 300km between changes max. Yur mileage may vary. ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
HELLS NO! Go Flames Go!!!

I'll be in touch Craig... I've been busy the last few days installing my new head... Fired it up tonight and it runs! Need to take it for a spin before I decide on a new sheave. ;)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It runs... :eek5:

j/k... :biggrin:

Jets...!!!

I know you guys all hate us now we have the great one here in Phoenix...

errr...had... :alcoholic:

1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The drain plug is located underneath the center, and the hole through the skid plate where its located is oblong, not round like the rest. 17mm wrench, remove the plug, drain, replace plug (snug, don't over tighten). Fill oil through the dipstick hole... About 2.5 litres. Rotella T 15w40 is what I normally use. Just make sure the oil is not labelled "energy conserving" on the little API label on the back and you're golden.

I usually change the filter every two to three changes. 300km between changes max. Yur mileage may vary. ;)
Thanks bro. How was Thanksgiving? Cant wait for ours! Fried turkey or Roasted?

·
Registered
427 Posts
0-W-40 Amsoil for motor cycle engines, make sure what ever you run it's wet clutch safe!. Not changing the filter when you change the oil is like taking a bath & putting back on your dirty clothes. Napa auto parts have a Wix filter that will work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why rotella oil? Why not 10 w 30 oil brands ????

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use Yamalube, but other 10w-40 oil will work as long as it is MA labeled. Your oil-bathed wet centrifugal clutch needs MA to function properly. In oil threads, you get a lot of preferences emerging: I prefer Yamalube, you prefer Rotella-T, he prefers Amsoil... It will all work just fine as long as it is MA non-energy conserving oil.

The reason I use Yamalube is because it gets me into the Yamaha dealership and I maintain a relationship with the guys there. It's nice to be able to walk in the shop and the sales guys and parts guys know me, especially when it comes time to purchase a new bike or some other bigger ticket item.

That's really the only reason I use the Yamalube. My filters, on the other hand, I will sometimes purchase from an online retailer buying 4-5 at a time. The Yamalube is not very expensive to purchase locally from my dealer, and to ship oil online sometimes is expensive. But the filters are usually at least $3 cheaper online with free to minimal shipping. The same is usually true with spark plugs. I generally buy a handful of them online, but this last time I purchased 3 of them from my dealer when I went in to buy oil just to keep up business with them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Im a yamalube guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts