Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Engine build

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  DennisMcQ 
#1 ·
Just took the head off my 04 660 Rhino stuck an exhaust valve. Is it OK to build just the top end and not the bottom or would it not be very wise to do that...

#3 · (Edited)
I am not sure it was given to me by a friend who got a brand new one....it has been abused. The rear end had been ripped off the brackets that hold the rear chunk had to rebuild those, was running hot when pulling any kind of food plot implement...other than that it cranks and runs....well it did

#4 ·
Honestly, I am in the same boat. My 06 660 dropped an exhaust valve at 1324 miles and 176 hours. My piston and cylinder are fine, my head may need replacing. Since I am pulling the engine anyway, I will split the cases and do a entire rebuild kit. There are some on ebay (not Chinese crap) for about $900. Might as well look at the bottom end to avoid having an issue later.

#7 ·
Dang, I wish one of you two lived closer to me. I would love to "help" you do the rebuild. Mine is running fine right now, but I would like to be more familiar with the process because I'm sure eventually mine will need to be rebuilt. I would like to do it before it "needs" it so that I can possibly eliminate major damage from it grenading.

#8 ·
Just to see what's out there, if you decide to rebuild and go BIG, I've read this is a great kit, although more than I will spend. Plus I want to keep using standard pump gas.

#9 ·
Dang, that's more than I paid for my 2004 660 a year and half ago, running and in good shape.

it says you can run on pump or race gas. whatever kit you decide to buy, I haven't had to replace any engine parts yet, but I've read and heard really bad thinks about Niche parts. It doesn't what all of manufacturer for cylinder and head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.