Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just purchased a 2005 rhino and this my first UTV ever so I’m new to this. I have a couple questions for the group.
1)My Rhino has an electric fuel pump. I live in MN and when it gets cold it won’t kick on. I have to move it indoors and in about 30 min my rhino starts. Does anyone know what could be going on or what I need to do. Putting it inside is not an option for me.
2)After getting the running I was plowing the driveway at night. After 30 min the thing died on me. I had the high beams on and I was using the winch to lower the plow. I check out the battery and it seemed fine based on the meter. Could it be the alternator starting to go?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
first off if your electric pump is good it will pump in any temps .
on the meter what does it show in amps before you even turn
key on to start and when it running how many amps does the meter
show .. should be 12.6-8 amps before start up and running with a
good stator it should show 13.1 amps .. on average

post back :::

Jake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off if your electric pump is good it will pump in any temps .
on the meter what does it show in amps before you even turn
key on to start and when it running how many amps does the meter
show .. should be 12.6-8 amps before start up and running with a
good stator it should show 13.1 amps .. on average

post back :::

Jake
Thank you. I will do it tomorrow and respond back to you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jake you may be confusing amps for volts. You're right on about the electric pump - if its good it should perform at any temp. Battery "voltage" can be misleading. A reading of 12.8 volts at the battery is normally more than sufficient to activate an electric fuel pump and to crank the engine - IF the battery is good. What many folks don't understand is that a battery can indicate a strong "surface voltage" of 12.5+ but may have no "load" capacity due to the battery being sulfated or shorted out internally. So if you have any kind of electrical issue such as what Dsaurer has stated above, get yourself one of those handy dandy cheap load testers (about $35 at Harbor Freight or similar) and test the load of your battery. Trying to diagnose an electrical issue with a bad battery is like fruitless.

The load tester typically applies a 100 amp load to your battery (it has coils in the unit that get very hot during the load process) - if the battery is good the voltmeter on the tester should stay in the green zone for at least 15 seconds before starting to degrade. If the needle goes immediately into the red the battery is toast. Replace the battery with a known good one and see if your electrical issue is resolved. Note: do this test with the cables removed from the battery.

If the battery load stays within specs, clean up the terminals and re-install cables. Now you have a good baseline to continue your diagnosis. If you still need help from this point on get back to the forum for more assistance.

Here is an example of an inexpensive Load Tester that should be in everyone's tool box: 100A 6/12v Battery Load Tester ($20)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey roger that on the amps-volts !!!!

if in doubt buy a new battery that load tester is easy 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new battery
unless you want a tool that you may use every couple of years ..
Jake

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
8 Posts
I added a fuel pump bulb between my fuel tank outlet and the fuel pump inlet. I give it a couple of squeezes if I
haven't run my Rhino in a while. She always starts quick after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to follow back up with the group and thank you for the input. It ended up being the electric fuel pump that needed to be replaced. Also there was a loose connection. At the start switch that was causing the intermittent issues. All fixed and running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Just purchased a 2005 rhino and this my first UTV ever so I’m new to this. I have a couple questions for the group.
1)My Rhino has an electric fuel pump. I live in MN and when it gets cold it won’t kick on. I have to move it indoors and in about 30 min my rhino starts. Does anyone know what could be going on or what I need to do. Putting it inside is not an option for me.
2)After getting the running I was plowing the driveway at night. After 30 min the thing died on me. I had the high beams on and I was using the winch to lower the plow. I check out the battery and it seemed fine based on the meter. Could it be the alternator starting to go?

Thank you in advance.
Do y0u have a regulated fuel line

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey roger that on the amps-volts !!!!

if in doubt buy a new battery that load tester is easy 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new battery
unless you want a tool that you may use every couple of years ..
Jake
Actually it was $19 from Harbor Freight and a tool that will serve you and your buddies for many years and many batteries. 😉

1 - 10 of 10 Posts