Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had issues with the sensor on the radiator for the fan. I replaced 2 already after going into the water and now it seems that this is my problem once again. I temporarily disconnected the sensor that ia screwed into the radiator out of the system to check to see if the fan was still operableafter jumping the wires together the fan works fine. This leads me to believe that the sensor is once again the problem. Has anyone had the same issues and what was your fix. This time it was just from washing the Rhino. Anyone heard if there was ever a recall for this problem? Any assistance would be appreciated

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will ask a dumb question. Did you make sure your rad is toped up of antifreeze. I know on one of my old polaris atv's that if the rad was even a little low on antifreeze the fan would not work. I have a 08 rhino so my sensor is on the block.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an 2008 also, mine has had this problem after about a year from new. I finally just put a override switch and manually turn it on. it was not worth my aggravation to keep changing it and have it overheat again when it quits working while on a ride.
DG Manufacturing Home Page

·
Registered
521 Posts
Make sure you "burp" the system of air and top off the rad. If your rad is low, remove the air bleed bolt on the engine then add antifreeze till it comes out the air bleed bolt hole.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We had the same problem with our 04' rhino this weekend. It constantly over heated and the fan was intermittin. if the engine was running it would go off and on but when it was off and the ignition was on, it stayed on constantly. We figured it might be the sensor. We had a idea of just puttin a manual switch on it? any thoughts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
When burping the air from your system. Everyone says to jack it up in front to get air to move in the system. When I had my problem, I coldn't get it out by this method.

Made sure the radiator was full and the overflow bottle was at the proper level. I jacked up the rear and opened the bleader valve with the engine running. Out came the air. Shut the valve and let it come up to operating temperature. Fan came on and no overheating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok thanks i think were gonna put the override switch on tere. Its jut easier and u dont have to worry about it doing it again in the middle od the woods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where is the circuit breaker for the cooling fan on a 2008 rhino? The damn thing overheats even in winter I checked fan directly and works fine, I was told the circuit beaker goes bad a lot but manual doesn't tell where it is and my dealership closed!! Thanks anyone..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Relay is in the battery box. Doesn't look like a standard relay. i a clear plastic pouch with two wires going in. Just unplug and put a 30 amp inline fuze in place. Also, I put a manual switch in. When I saw the temperature get near 200 like when I was pulling a long steap wheel. I would flip the switch and see the temperature drop as much as 40 degrees.

I installed a temperatue gauge. Put the sending unit in ghe head where the sending unit for the idiot light went. Works great.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Since we are on the subject my fan comes on radomly.. Never overheats but it just randomly comes on even when cold.. Assuming the sensor is my problem too? I'm prolly just gunna run a manual switch for mine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Relay is in the battery box. Doesn't look like a standard relay. i a clear plastic pouch with two wires going in. Just unplug and put a 30 amp inline fuze in place. Also, I put a manual switch in. When I saw the temperature get near 200 like when I was pulling a long steap wheel. I would flip the switch and see the temperature drop as much as 40 degrees.

I installed a temperatue gauge. Put the sending unit in ghe head where the sending unit for the idiot light went. Works great.
What kind of temperature gauge and sending unit did you use and where did you get it? My unit doesn't work either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my fan took a **** so i just bought a 10 inch torque flow fan from autozone for 50 bucks and just hot wired it to a switch...it works 10 times better than stock and lasts longer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just went to O'Riley's and got a inexpensive brand (Rhino not here for me to look at).

Pulled the idiot light sending unit and carefully threaded the sending unit in itls place. Make sure you ground the gauge(Plastic Body).

Be sure and bleed it well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Threads are almost exactly the same. Don't use any sealant or tape. Just screw in and tighten up. Run a new wire from the gauge. Forgot to mention,
you need to ground the wire going to the old sensor to keep the idiot light off. I put anew end on and placed it under a bolt on the engine.

I also installed a fuel gauge and a volt meter.

Works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have rhino 700 2008 and it overheat
Water pump ok, thermostat ok, prestone ok, but fan makes noises and i don't hear "blower" but fan turns...

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I have rhino 700 2008 and it overheat
Water pump ok, thermostat ok, prestone ok, but fan makes noises and i don't hear "blower" but fan turns...
Not quite sure what you mean. "i don't hear "blower" but fan turns" Do you mean that you can turn the fan by hand? Do you mean that the fan never runs by itself?

The 700 and later Yamaha SxS's have an additional 25 Amp fuse for the fan motor that did not exist on the 660 and 450's.

Item # 11 in the owner's manual picture below:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, my english is bad...
My fan turns by itself, but it's not the normal sound, i don't hear the normal sound of blower. If i turn pales with my hand, i don't have this "weird" noise. The fuse is ok

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Sorry, my english is bad...
My fan turns by itself, but it's not the normal sound, i don't hear the normal sound of blower. If i turn pales with my hand, i don't have this "weird" noise. The fuse is ok
Well then, is the fan blade spinning very fast when it comes on? if it is barely turning, it will not be moving much air, which is what makes a "blower" sound like fast moving air.

If it is only turning slowly, it is very likely that you have to replace the fan motor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts