Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2005 Rhino 660 yesterday and was going through it some more last night and reading on the forums. The previous owner told me it probably needs new batteries so I was searching for info on that and found some threads about dual battery but it seems I already have dual. Maybe this isn't normal? They seem to be different. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This one is on the passenger side in the box and has the majority of the electrical connections to it.

This one is in the center of the front and just has to main cables connected to it.

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Single battery is standard, you are way ahead with two. Only thing I'd recommend is a battery selector switch, like boats have.

Does the smaller motorcycle battery leads go to the starter only?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After digging into it more, the battery in the center went to two posts and fed the radio and all the lights. The factory battery has no added connections to it. The batteries are not connected together. It was just 400' of wire under there that was completely unnecessary. lol Cleaning it all up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my 2005 Rhino 660 yesterday and was going through it some more last night and reading on the forums. The previous owner told me it probably needs new batteries so I was searching for info on that and found some threads about dual battery but it seems I already have dual. Maybe this isn't normal? They seem to be different. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This one is on the passenger side in the box and has the majority of the electrical connections to it.
View attachment 64906

This one is in the center of the front and just has to main cables connected to it.
View attachment 64907
FYI: I have learned generally any gas motor with a stator and rectifier and starting battery, you need a battery disconnect. If you ever connect a trickle charger or standard battery charger. Make sure the battery is in the disconnected OFF position when charging. I have read many posts on Rhino units on this site that person went to jump off UTV and then got the dreaded E on the digital display on UTV's with speedometers. Most people don't think of the 200 amp alternators they are going to jump into the system that can fry things. If you don't have a speedometer you can still fry your stator or rectifier over time this is very common on ATVs, UTV's and boats. That why you always see battery disconnects on the boat batteries. I ran into many people that say they have not had a problem, and I am thinking when they say that well it's just a matter of time. I saw pictures of stator locations on Rhinos that would make the average owner take straight Rhino to shop or junk the unit never knowing really what issue even is. You can share information with people but that does not mean they will like it. I like that saying I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it lol. Hope this helps someone, happy trails. I agree the second battery is a great backup you can play your tunes lights etc. without worrying about starting the unit as long as you have a disconnect on starting battery in an isolated position only. Then if UTV does not start select both batteries while needing extra starting power (or to charge both batteries from the motor not while jumping). Once you get use to using battery disconnect you will be glad it is there, great to have a backup system for anything you take off the grid or just miles from help :) The second battery is not good as a backup and is only isolating power sources if don't have a disconnected to the main battery (except for when riding and then charging while motor running, remember to switch to battery 1 only if running radio light etc. for extended periods). They have switches that auto switch for you but you see several posts on these failing so manual switch is so easy so why not just do it manually. The disconnect will have position 1 where you can connect positive from the main battery then connect battery 2 positive to position 2 disconnect will have where you can select position 1 or 2 or both or Off. Your common from disconnect will go to the motor to isolate it as needed when charging etc. if it's still connected to batteries you still have the same issue so make sure you have it installed correctly if you go this route.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ran two batteries on my 700 Rhino (after burning the stator up) and used the Tru battery isolator. I also had a disconnect between the two batteries just as a safe guard but mostly let the Tru battery isolator do it's job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts