Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy had his 07 Sport edition strip out the boss on the drive shaft. It is part 5ug-46212-00-00. Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts for this or is there anyway to beef this up besides stock?

If anyone has this part in good condition and wants to sell, drop me a line.

· Administrator
2,281 Posts
My buddy had his 07 Sport edition strip out the boss on the drive shaft. It is part 5ug-46212-00-00. Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts for this or is there anyway to beef this up besides stock?

If anyone has this part in good condition and wants to sell, drop me a line.
Can you describe a bit more?...is this the splines on the differential side of the rear driveshaft itself that your referring to, or the rearend coupler that the splines fit into?.....Lance

· Registered
1,338 Posts
stripped mine a while back and had to replace it. Also replaced the sleeve as it was shot.
I think mine got wasted when the boot slipped off and allowed sand to get in there - no grease, just rust.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It stripped the splines on the coupler and the splines on the boss that goes into the rear diff. The drive shaft is still good.

If you look at the schematics for 2007 Sport from My Yamaha Prompt - Parts Catalog - the parts that went out are 7, 37, 39, 41. We finally have all the parts coming.

I warned him about running a 2 inch lift with 28 inch outlaw radials. 2 for 2...the week before, it was right rear axle...lol

· Registered
288 Posts
I just fixed mine last month. It really wasn't too hard to do, but was a bit time consuming. Pulled the axles and rear diff.

I think the hardest/most frustrating part for me was getting the brake caliper back in. I thought I had the caliper piston all the way in but it wasn't and things just simply wouldn't go back together.

· Registered
728 Posts
Anybody have a 5UG-46212-00-00 boss (with stripped splines) they want to sell. I will not be using the splines.

A new one will cost me $80. So, that should give you an idea of what a used one is worth.

Jim

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Hey JimDromi, I have one. I will give it to you if you pay for shipping.

· Registered
540 Posts
It stripped the splines on the coupler and the splines on the boss that goes into the rear diff. The drive shaft is still good.

I warned him about running a 2 inch lift with 28 inch outlaw radials. 2 for 2...the week before, it was right rear axle...lol
OH NO ..... I have a 2" lift and 29.5 Outlaw2 ..... hope my don't strip! :fingersx:

· Registered
1,207 Posts
It's an easy $80 dollar fix!

· Registered
1,131 Posts
The only way I could see an improvement would be a way to "easily" grease both ends. I have personally seen these go over 10k miles , and not be stripped out !! I doubt the lift had anything to do with it failing...lack of grease , and "rocking" back and forth over time (7 years ) , most likely caused the failure . My .02

· Registered
1,207 Posts
@scottwv you are probably right. I rode water and mud quite a bit, so I'm sure that has something to do with the premature failure.

· Registered
252 Posts
Just to add to the conversion, do yourselves a favor and pull the boots back a little, with a needle on a grease gun shoot some grease (bomb can of penetrating grease also works) in there and put the boot back on. Water and mud intrusion is the culprit. Be sure to do the front and rear shaft joints.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts