Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 660 rhino and recently installed a shut off valve on my gas line in hopes to keep the carb a little bit cleaner since i could run it free of gas and nothing would remain in the carb to gum up. But the problem i am having is my rhino does not want to sit and idle running. Also when i am driving it, it back fires when i let off the gas.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm guessing the shutoff gives too much restriction, and you're running lean... that's why it would backfire on decelleration. The odd 'pop' after a hard run on the throttle is what some would call 'normal', but it should idle. Was it running fine before?

I've never heard of anyone doing this... doesn't make much sense, but to each his own. I put an in-line primer bulb on mine to reprime when it sits for a long time, but evaporating gas in the bowl isn't going to kill it.

Get rid of the valve... does the problem go away? Well, there's the issue. :) Welcome on board!

·
Registered
627 Posts
With this new gas mix sold at the pump lots of people are having problems letting thier equipment sit with fuel in the carb. Running it dry is a good defense mechanism for this. Is his valve causing problems with the performance of the unit, could be.

You should try and remove the valve and see if the problem disappears.

·
Registered
647 Posts
With this new gas mix sold at the pump lots of people are having problems letting thier equipment sit with fuel in the carb. Running it dry is a good defense mechanism for this. Is his valve causing problems with the performance of the unit, could be.

You should try and remove the valve and see if the problem disappears.
Ahh... I forgot about ethanol gas... we don't have that up here... yet. :) I've left the rhino unused for six months at a time and never had an issue.

I'm guessing the shutoff valve is pretty small? If it fits the stock hose, my guess is the inside diameter of the valve is about 1/2 of the ID of the gas line. Or Nate might be on the right track too... either way, never hurts to take apart and clean the carb!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Depending on where you put the valve, the pump could be bypassing most of the fuel back to the tank via the bypass line, causing a lower than stock fuel pressure.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My only thing is if it is a lack of fuel supply wouldn't he be complaining about it starving as it requires more gas(acceleration) instead of idle... idle requires the least pressure/volume.

Nate

·
Registered
615 Posts
My only thing is if it is a lack of fuel supply wouldn't he be complaining about it starving as it requires more gas(acceleration) instead of idle... idle requires the least pressure/volume.

Nate
At idle speed, the fuel pump has the least pumping ability if it is vaccum operated..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts