Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of people got killed or hurt very seriously at the dunes this weekend... there was lots of carnage. From someone launching off a razorback and burning to death in his rail to someone breaking their neck after a quad wreck... someone also died today at pad 4 from an accident which caused an injury to his abdomen which caused excessive blood loss... not to mention the the train out there derailed and fell off the tracks.

Glad to hear that so far no Rhino or side by side deaths... we dont need that.

Everytime you off-road you risk your life, be as careful as you can out there, who knows... you might end up driving safely and save someone else's life.

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
While were on the subject of safe, responsable duning.....This is interesting!

http://www.rhinorollovers.com/
Ick I've seen that before. :aargh4:

I blew a trailer tire this weekend and went to Discount to get a new one. The tire guy saw my rhino and starts telling me about how he's at a party and drives the owners rhino. He gets out in the desert and rolls and foot pinned under it. He's stuck and had to lay there for about a half hour until someone found him. His leg was fine and I told him your lucky you still have that foot.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
yes **** happens and things go wrong, but i beleive a lot of roll over are caused by driver error.

in the end be safe and drive smart when in your SxS

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Everytime I see that picture of that dudes foot (or the leg), I cringe!! I was at my parents house tonight and Ive finally convinced them to get leg minders before the dunes this weekend! I dont know why i waited so long to get them myself.......

·
Registered
240 Posts
I hate to hear someone get hurt or killed that was doing something that was suppose to be a fun day and doing what they loved to do. The nature of the things we do can be dangerous. I'm taking our street cars to a benfit this weekend for a guy that is paralyzed from an accident while testing his blown flatbottom. His insurance ran out on therapy and he needs it to walk again. Normally his son is the shoe, but he was tuning it. The difference between that and what happened to the people at glamis and us is luck and someone looking over us. Be safe.

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
It's a thought process too. I rolled mine on it's side and every fiber of your body wants out when you realize your going over. I had to think about staying put until it was over and then find my way out.

My first ride at sycamore when it was new I started to get stuck and worried I was goping over and my foot went out. It suddenly dawned on me that I was powerless and get back in.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Rollovers are one of the reasons I got long travel...more stability. Doesn't mean you can't roll it though.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Train Wreck Pics

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Man killed in Dunes accident over weekend
DARIN FENGER, SUN STAFF WRITER
February 18, 2007 - 11:16PM
A 24-year-old male was killed Saturday evening following an accident within the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.

The death was announced Sunday by emergency officials with the Bureau of Land Management's station located at the dunes area, west of Yuma.

Public information officer Steve Razo said he was unable to release the name of the victim Sunday evening, but he did confirm that the victim was a resident of Sun Valley, Calif., and that the victim died after driving over a 6-foot drop and breaking his neck.

Razo said that Saturday's death marked the second fatality so far this Presidents Day weekend, which began Wednesday at the dunes and runs through Monday. He added that fatalities so far this season have been fewer than in past years.

Wednesday's fatality, which also involved a male from California, occurred when the victim's vehicle rolled over.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

V PRESS TODAY

GLAMIS — A 31-year-old San Bernardino man died Wednesday in a fiery dune buggy crash here, the California Highway Patrol said.

Carl Planton died at the scene of the 3 p.m. crash after his vehicle launched over a sand dune and overturned at the dune’s base.

A woman in the vehicle, Janet Mojica, 25, of San Bernardino, escaped the fire that erupted when the vehicle’s gas tank ruptured.

The crash occurred in the Imperial Valley Sand Dunes Recreation Area as Planton drove his dune buggy up a large dune.

Highway Patrol said Planton didn’t realize the dune had a steep fall on the other side and ended up launching his vehicle into the air.

The vehicle crashed at the base of the dune, landing nose-down on its left front wheel and overturned. The crash caused the fuel tank to rupture and the vehicle caught fire.

Mojica reported to authorities that she was able to undo her harness and escape.

She reported to officials that Planton was unconscious and she was unable to undo his harness.

Mojica suffered what the Highway Patrol called moderate injuries and was taken to Pioneers Memorial Hospital in Brawley. Her condition was unavailable this morning.

The official cause of Planton’s death was pending an autopsy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Incident: 0547 Type: Possible Fatality Location: GLAMIS Zoom Map: 6265 3J info as of: 2/19/2007 3:17:23 PM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
3:08PM OFFICER BACK W/ VEH S
1:29PM PER ICSO CORONER ENRT F/OFFICE FOR 40 MINS NOW
1:29PM WILL BE LEAVING UNITS AT PAD #4
1:29PM REQ ICSD ETA FOR CORONER
12:42PM 1039 ICSO FOR CORONER
12:41PM ALSO REQ CORONER TO RESP
12:20PM INJURY TO ABDOMEN AND IS BLEEDING ALOT
12:05PM RP IS AT PAD #4
12:05PM SUBJ IN A MC
RESPONDING OFFICERS STATUS
1:18PM CHP Unit On Scene

+++++++++

I believe there was one more death out there this weekend and countless Serious Injuries... the emergency medical chopper was flying non-stop. Tell me, how do all these accidents look to someone at a hospital working while accident victim after accident victim come rolling in...??? Off-Roaders must look like a bunch of friggin' R-tards that cant even be responsible for their own actions which end up causing injury/death to themselves or others.

Sorry about the RANT, but this stuff really gets to me, its all totally preventable.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well Friday afternoon there was a huge fire somewhere west which looked like it was around Gecko or further out. I was at the flats at the time. Anyone know what that was?

The chopper was flying pretty low on Saturday afternoon, and looked to land somewhere near China wall or Lizard hill.

Heard about the train wreck on Thursday night. That seemed to be the talk during the weekend.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I believe the third fatality was due to someone going over the bars and having internal injuries - bled to death....probably spleen or liver related......so sad!! And the poor guy in the sand rail - he burned to death!!! We have to be SO careful - I have no patience duning with people who have no concern for their safety, or those of others......being very selective in who I dune with usually guarantees a GOOD dune experience.....so I like to be choosy. Obviously accidents happen, but most can be avoided with alot of common sense and some good old fashioned intuition.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yeah what she said ^^^^^I have given people earfull's for acting like idiots near my kids almost got into a fist fight once, when some morron almost hit my kid while doing donuts in a prerunner truck with a bunch of other people around....my friends had to hold me back !...I guarranty you if he hurt my kid, while he was showing off, I probably would have killed that snot nosed
rich kid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My best friend and his wife and i made a trip out to Tuscon from indiana to stay with his wifes aunt and uncle.. rode all the motocross tracks around the area and some trails on quads.. at the end of the week we headed to Yuma to ride gordons well with her cousin from San Diego, CA. We had our race quads and my rhino.. Putted around Friday night just to see what riding the dunes was like. Saturday morning our group all rode out on quads while my friends wife (20) and her cousin rode my rhino.. We raced up patton hill for a while and his wife and cousin rode back to camp so we rode accross the dunes with the other guys to the largest hill (can't remember the name now) Well around 2 hours later we were leaving that hill and one of the guys we camped with had came to tell us they rolled my rhino and one of them was being life lined to San Diego.. Upon arriving we found what seemed like everyone at the dunes that day at patton valley and his wife was leaving in the helicopter... She had cut the wheel hard to try to slide and it rolled clockwise and wound up with her head pinned under the driver side bar along the floorboard... When we arrived in San Diego we found out he lost his wife and i lost a very good friend.. The most irritating thing is it could have been prevented if someone would've listened when we said atleast wear seatbelts.. I didn't know if anyone had heard of this death at the dunes or not.. I didn't realize i typed so much. But i'm sure we will be back to ride again.. There should be and iron cross memorial for her at the bottom of Patton Valley if it isn't there already.. Her name was Emily King

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss two lessons here guys we have heard them both a million times, safety equipment is absolutely necessary and NEVER LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR RHINO! I truly feel for you and your friends this seems to have been tragic accident.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree completely.. It was very tragic.. This was 4-14-07. I was an accident caused by poor judgement. A seat belt could've saved a life and a shattered ankle on her cousin.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear about this tragedy, any death at the dunes is one too many ... the thing that usually compounds the loss is that almost all of the deaths at the dunes are easily preventable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.