Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 660 came in several models of bikes. The Raptor, Rhino and the Grizzly. Are there any differences between the years and models that would prevent my using anything I come across?

Mine is damaged on the bottom of the sleeve. It's a 105mm. So I've been told to get another one and bore and sleeve it.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Is the damage just the sleeve or the cylinder too...

To the best of my knowledge when you go to a 105mm bore in addition to having the bore the cases you have to bore the cylinder for an over sized sleeve and then bore that sleeve...

Boring a stock sleeve to 105mm might have too thin of a wall...

For reliability...

If you know what I mean... :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its sleeved and bored to 105. bottom of sleeve is cracked in several places. I was told that it wasn't good to resleeve one that was already sleeved and bored. The sleeve would be loose.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Never heard of that and don't see why it would be the case...it would be the same size sleeve...

If you had a stock cylinder with a damaged sleeve you just replace the sleeve and if you want to bore it to 102 then you just do it...so I don't see the difference...

If you were you I would call Racer's Edge AZ they have done lots of Rhinos with 105mm bores and they do all their machine work including 5-axis CNC head porting in house...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I am not saying what you heard isn't true... just asking if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I know there are different sleeve companies. And the people who built my engine told me that sleeves vary and they thought you wouldn't be able to re-sleeve a 105. The new sleeve could end up being loose. Not sure I totally subscribe to that, but I'm not an engine guru.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I see... well that makes sense then...

New cylinders are kinda of expensive...I can see why you would want a used one...

Not sure about Raptors but I would think the Grizzly would be a sure thing...

camshaw would probably know...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

all 660 engines share the same cylnders..........not the same heads or bottoms folks.....any good motorycle rebuillding machine shop can tell when they push out your old cylnder who's brand it is and most likely its an LA sleeve cylnder........

·
Registered
581 Posts
The only difference in 660 cylinders as far as I know is the color. They are different shades of gray. I have a bad 102mm core in stock you are welcome to if you want to have it sleeved to a 105. It would just go in the trash...

Nate

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have used Grizzly, Raptor and Rhino cylinders on each other. They are all the same, I also have used several different sleeves in these cylinders. What I have learned is that the LA sleeve, 105mm bore, has the same outside dimensions as the Raptor 700 stock sleeve but it is bored out to 105 from the stock 102...........
I used this 700 sleeve in my 660 Raptor cylinders with a bored case to give the bottom of the sleeve more support since opening the 660 sleeve to 102 from 100 made the sleeve very thin and prone to cracking with the type of use I put it too..........

Earlier this year when I bought my 660 Rhino, it had a stock bore, I installed a 686cc cylinder from a Raptor with the 700 sleeve, I had to bore the cases to the new bigger OD dimensions, this allowed me to go to the 727cc, 105mm bore, I had when I decided to go to that route............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts