Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4,400 original miles without ever having one single problem with my Rhino, my CV boot ripped open on me this weekend. It's the boot in the rear near the diff. I've got grease everywhere. Big mess!
I wanted to get a idea one how easy or hard it is to replace these rear boots? I'm going to go ahead and repair both sides. I'm going to tackle this myself. Any important things I need to know? My Rhino is a 2006 SE 660 all stock. Where is a place I could order the CV boots online for a decent price? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks,,

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMO after 4400 miles i would replace the cv joint as well when it is apart i got a boot off of sidebysidesports.com for $24 plus shipping it was not oem but fit fine. watch the video on the gorrilla website to see how to take them apart if you never have before

·
Registered
260 Posts
same thing happened to me a couple of days ago as well, i went to a local dealer and got a moose kit (boot, grease, and metal clamps) for $17. mine was the rear outer. i had a branch go through the tiny opening where the boot was and shredded it. gonna tackle the replacement on friday, hope its not to much of a pain, good luck with yours.

·
Registered
170 Posts
its not that bad, for me the hardest part is geting the cv out of the diff. after its out smooth sailing

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just did mine this past weekend and It took all of about 45 minutes to do. Now I have done it once before but it really isn't very hard at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Any time I've had a boot bust I would end up having to replace the joint anyway. Its not hard to do. When pulling the rears out, a couple of good tugs and the inner cv joint will pop out. Putting it back in I found it's easier to pull shock out of the way to get a straight shot at putting axle back in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply's. What to you guys recommend for a CV boot replacement kit. OEM or aftermarket? Any links to a website that carry's these kits?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
thanks for the reply's. What to you guys recommend for a CV boot replacement kit. OEM or aftermarket? Any links to a website that carry's these kits?
The universal type work fine...I got less than a year out of one...a couple pin-holes came in it somehow. They are a softer rubber than the oe, the oe are more like plastic than rubber...and they cost more; but, the kit comes w/2 sets of bands, 2 things of grease, and all new clips. If you go with the oe, James has VERY good prices on the kits.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The universal type work fine...I got less than a year out of one...a couple pin-holes came in it somehow. They are a softer rubber than the oe, the oe are more like plastic than rubber...and they cost more; but, the kit comes w/2 sets of bands, 2 things of grease, and all new clips. If you go with the oe, James has VERY good prices on the kits.
Who is James and does he have a website I could order from?

I found this cv fastboot kit on jcwhitney. Will this work? http://www.jcwhitney.com/fast-boot-cv-joint-kits/p2013210.jcwx?filterid=d17772y2006j9

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Who is James and does he have a website I could order from?

I found this cv fastboot kit on jcwhitney. Will this work? Norrec Industries FAST BOOT CV JOINT KITS - JCWhitney
Yes, those will work...I have never used the bands that are in thae kit tho...I picked up a cv banding tool from napa, and use their bands (tool was like 30 bucks, and the bands are a couple bucks a peice), that is the one I said got pinholes in it some-how. The rubber is VERY soft. If you have a few extra bucks, I would go w/the oe !

James, aka WV Hotrod (JBS)...304-673-2602

·
Registered
319 Posts
* going to school on this one *

I'm going on a little adventure, and know nothing (see signature) was thinking of taking spares.

Rather than starting a new thread on the same subject..

Front

(1) 5B4-F510G-00-00 BOOT SET (BALL JOINT) MSRP $55--

(1) 5B4-F510H-00-00 BOOT SET (DOUBLE OFFSET JOINT) MSRP $55--

Rear

(1) 5UG-F530Y-01-00 BOOT SET (DOUBLE OFFSET JOINT) MSRP $47--

(1) 5B4-F530X-00-00 BOOT SET (BALL JOINT) MSRP $61--

Yikes.. Can that be right ? * sticker shock expression *

1 - 16 of 16 Posts