Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm not on here often, so here's my story hopefully to help out anyone looking for a similar setup. A little history, I've got an 07 660 4 seater and I typically ride in the hard pack desert out in southern California. I went with the Walker Evans Racing shocks on my rhino right when I bought it used at the end of 07. This was a great setup, but I needed more. I upgraded to the CST long travel (+3") kit last year and I kept my WER shocks, and had them revalved. Although the suspension was improved and smoother, I was bottoming out and the shocks weren't strong enough (and I was told that from CST & WER, but I already had them so I figured I'd try).

I purchased the Fox 2" shocks designed for the CST kit and OMG! I went out to Ocotillo over Veteran's weekend and all my problems went away! No more bottoming out, I was able to charge some whoops that I would never attempt before. Don't get me wrong, I can't go through the deep ones, but it didn't get as upset or bottom out like it used to. What sold me, was when I had a full car with my 12 year old and a friend who's probably pushing 200lbs in the rear, wife & myself in the front and I still didn't bottom out where I would always bottom out before. The ride handled great, really predictable, smooth transitions and turns. The suspension did it's job, it just handled awesome!

It would be nice to have a 6" kit with more travel and plushness, but we go through some tighter canyons where the 6" kit might not fit.

I'm really happy with my purchase, especially after getting the Fox shocks. The 2" Fox vs. the 1 3/4" WER makes a HUGE difference. Plus the shocks are specific for the CST kit (I believe the rears are massaged front shocks).

Now I need to figure out how to make more room in the back seat, as it looks like I won't be limited to carrying kids and I can have heavier rear passengers. Oh and spindles, since I'm charging everything harder now.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Best shocks out there, and when it comes time to rebuild them or have them revalved take them to Mirage racing, right across the street from Fox. Excellent service, they've been prepping race vehicles forever! Call Big Jim over at Cognito for the best spindles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts