Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....today I got home from being at our farm and went to unload the Rhino. The thing would turn over but not start .....code 12 showing on display. I solved the crankshaft sensor problem by checking the plug which was in bind from the wire ties.
I recently changed the stator and it's putting out power. Anyway now there is a rattle in the passenger side of the crankcase. It sounds like maybe the starter torque limiter is spinning freely....every once in while it will have a metal to metal screech. Rev it up and it goes away.
Idling it rattles or rather sounds like something free wheeling.
I removed the plug to the timing mark on the rotor and the rotor seems to be rotating smooth.
I am leaning toward maybe the something in the starter drive is installed wrong or worn. Or the starter clutch is bad and letting the starter drive spin with the engine.
I can hear the area it seems to be coming from and it's the upper crankcase cover to my crazy ears.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this going on?

I am going to start tearing that apart again probably Sunday if I am lucky.
The noise has got me buffaloed...... I love this thing but it's starting to get on my nerves .....

I just seem to think the starter drive is not disengaging......

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I won't know until I get in there. It's eating at me but working weekends and on 13 hour days no time when I get home. Maybe i will start Sunday night.
The aircraft maintenance business isn't real busy right now so I may have to see me not being there on Sunday and get started.
Right now there is no definitive part to replace so I can't order anything.......I just have to get in there and inspect and find the problem. .....and hope it stands out for me...........but I am also leaning that way.

I found an interesting thing today while searching the IPC for the Rhino....the Torque Limiter has changed part numbers......I wonder if maybe they had a batch of bad ones..hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay....today I got home from being at our farm and went to unload the Rhino. The thing would turn over but not start .....code 12 showing on display. I solved the crankshaft sensor problem by checking the plug which was in bind from the wire ties.
I recently changed the stator and it's putting out power. Anyway now there is a rattle in the passenger side of the crankcase. It sounds like maybe the starter torque limiter is spinning freely....every once in while it will have a metal to metal screech. Rev it up and it goes away.
Idling it rattles or rather sounds like something free wheeling.
I removed the plug to the timing mark on the rotor and the rotor seems to be rotating smooth.
I am leaning toward maybe the something in the starter drive is installed wrong or worn. Or the starter clutch is bad and letting the starter drive spin with the engine.
I can hear the area it seems to be coming from and it's the upper crankcase cover to my crazy ears.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this going on?

I am going to start tearing that apart again probably Sunday if I am lucky.
The noise has got me buffaloed...... I love this thing but it's starting to get on my nerves .....

I just seem to think the starter drive is not disengaging......
With mine recently, the cam chain adjusters had worn out. Caused the chain to smack the cover

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got it apart and will have to say I am shocked yet kind of glad.
I found two of the three bolts holding the stator onto the crankcase backed out. They had started rubbing the rotor. Just a little scratch ring on the rotor and the heads of the bolts have a little wear.
I could see the remains of the locktite still in the threaded holes and I torqued them to the manual 5.1 ft lbs per the shop manual. I have Snap on Torque wrenches that get calibration checked once a year mandatory per my employer.
The other fasteners that were all torqued with the same wrench IAW the shop manual were all secure.
The two had worked out and were rubbing the rotor. The damage to the rotor is not bad at all and tomorrow I will get some crocus clothe from work to clean up the ring. I will get some new bolts on Tuesday along with a new gasket.
This time it will get torqued German torque.............

I flushed the lower case with naptha and it can dry between now and Tuesday.
This one has me stumped.....unless the stator settled after torque. I remember torquing them with my 4mm metric hex socket......they even had loctite still there but didn't do any good. I used medium which I had here but not again!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow I am getting some 263 from parts and that won't happen again....not to mention I may try and drill them and safety wire them!!!!!
What's kind of strange is the tube of loctite is in this picture I took when I put the stator in!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts