Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just put a 686 kit on my rhino. Took it out for 2 hours and it ran great! Stopped at a friends house for a second and when I left it started to overheat. Now its filling up the coolant overflow reservior and spitting all the coolant out the overflow's overlow tube. What is going on? Head gasket?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Did you get the system bleed good. Jack up front end and made sure all the air was out of the bleeder?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Did your temp light come on...???

Did you check your oil to see if it had coolant in it...???

The service manual has the procedure for bleeding in it...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No coolant in the oil. My temp gauge went about 230-240 and it started blowing coolant on my feet. Now when fill it with coolant and drive it down the street the overflow fills up and starts lowing coolant out on my feet when its not even hot.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have heard of this problem before but I can't remember what the cause was...

Do you use the stock radiator cap...not that is should matter if not overheating...

And where did you install your temp sender for your gauge...

Is the fan turning on/off like it should...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I use the stock radiator cap. Temp gauge sender is in the head. Originally when it overheated the fan wasn't on. I wired on and still have problems.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You should do two things...

Make sure the system is bled as was said above by Josh...

The other is find out if it's the relay or the thermal switch causing your fan not to come on...

If you had air in the system originally that could be the whole problem...the sender will register hot when it's really not and the temp of the coolant in the radiator will not be hot enough to turn on fan and air in system could be the reason it spits out...air expands when hot...

Very possible that is your only problem...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bled the system as stated above and drove down the street. Immediately at full throttle the coolant overflow filled up and started blowing coolant out the overflow tube.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The only other thing I can think of it could be is the water pump...

But I know I have heard of this malfunction before...!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just bled the system as stated above and drove down the street. Immediately at full throttle the coolant overflow filled up and started blowing coolant out the overflow tube.
The most likely thing it is the head gasket.....................
I saw this lots on my Raptor, when overdoing it a bit during oval races.................

·
Registered
647 Posts
You DID use a new head gasket when you installed your 686 kit, right? :)

If it happens so quick (without time to get to normal temperature) and starts blowing out the coolant right away - it's probably the head gasket. Sucks!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Building enough pressure to lift the cap before it gets hot sounds like a head gasket. I would do a leak-down test if possible. What did you torque the head to and what kind of head gasket did you use?

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its either an air pocket or a bad headgasket. My money is on the hg's though. If you rev motor does it change the amount or force of the water coming out? You can buy a kit that indicates if combustion gases are in the coolant.
Where are all the air bleeds mounted on a rhino?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Make sure you do a head stud kit to be able to torque the head bolts down tighter so you dont keep having the same problem on the 686 kit

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Its either an air pocket or a bad headgasket. My money is on the hg's though. If you rev motor does it change the amount or force of the water coming out? You can buy a kit that indicates if combustion gases are in the coolant.
Where are all the air bleeds mounted on a rhino?
Thermostat housing...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes it was a new head gasket and I do have a head stud kit. I torqued it to factory specs. Would a bad radiator cap be the problem too?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Factory specs meaning? I torqued my head studs (aftermarket) to 45ft/lbs with my 686 kit and cometic gasket.

I think if you did to 25 lbs, you should snug them up to 45-50.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes it was a new head gasket and I do have a head stud kit. I torqued it to factory specs. Would a bad radiator cap be the problem too?
Doubtful. I would think that if the coolant coming out of the radiator isnt hot then there would be no other way of getting pressure than though the combustion chamber.

Oh yeah, I used a cometic head gasket
What part number? Was it a 102mm kit? I think it should be C7798.

Nate
Alba Racing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts