Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a ride, tons of washboard roads.

Rhino started slowing down like the governor started kicking in. We were about 2 miles from the trailer so I decided to just make it there.

About a half mile later, it just died. Went to investigate and saw the oil filter had spun off and dumped most of the oil. :eek5:

When I got it home, re-seated the oil filter, added more oil but it wouldn't crank.

Code 12 and Check Engine Light. 'No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position
sensor.'

Thought I had seized it. Put it in gear and pulled it down the road. It wasn't seized. :banana:

I thought the absence of the oil had heated and fried the crankshaft position sensor? (hoping)
Thinking maybe just replace the crankshaft position sensor?

Looked on Ebay and found sensor replacements. Resistance specs are .500 +-50. I checked the sensor on my old fried stator and it read .528 so I thought I'd swap it out. (to the left of the current one, see pic below)

Pulled my current stator and the sensor read .533 which is considered good. Looked over the stator and no burnt coils, but a few were a bit darker, so I re=installed it.

Checked continuity on all 3 of the stator connectors. All good.

Tried to clear the code through the diagnostics menu. History erasure (4 WD/Rel lock) but the code won't clear.

Called the local dealership, explained the situation, said to unplug the regulator/rectifier and if it starts... the stator is bad. Well it wouldn't start.

Still have the code 12, can't clear it and it won't crank.

Thinking of buying a new stator and starting over.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
273 Posts
it won't crank over at all or it cranks over but wont start?also I'm pretty sure you can't pull the vehicle in gear and turn the motor over unless you can somehow get the belt tight enough to spin the motor. you're probably just spending the transmission.
replacing the stator has nothing to do with the crank position sensor, the crank position sensor is that little magnetic pickup on the outside of the flywheel. if the motor won't crank over at all you need to figure out that issue first.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't crank at all. Just a simultaneous click at the starter and at the starter solenoid next to the battery.

The code 12 won't let the starter engage.

The crank shaft position sensor is a part of the stator.

Got the engine to turn over by putting it in gear and pulling it with my truck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
you might have to purchase the stator and the crank position sensor together because of the harness but other than being part of the electrical system they are not related.

if the solenoid and starter are clicking it sounds to me like it's trying to work.I would pull your clutch cover and see if you can turn the primary clutch, unless there's a bolt where you take the stator off and you can turn the motor there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same issue. I cut my bike off one day and it would not start back. Check engine light is on with the 12 code. When i hit start the starting relay doesn't even click. I jumped it to see of it was the relay and it still would not even try to turn over. Did you every find out what was wrong with yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same issue. I cut my bike off one day and it would not start back. Check engine light is on with the 12 code. When i hit start the starting relay doesn't even click. I jumped it to see of it was the relay and it still would not even try to turn over. Did you every find out what was wrong with yours?
Went on a ride, tons of washboard roads.

Rhino started slowing down like the governor started kicking in. We were about 2 miles from the trailer so I decided to just make it there.

About a half mile later, it just died. Went to investigate and saw the oil filter had spun off and dumped most of the oil. :eek5:

When I got it home, re-seated the oil filter, added more oil but it wouldn't crank.

Code 12 and Check Engine Light. 'No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position
sensor.'

Thought I had seized it. Put it in gear and pulled it down the road. It wasn't seized. 🍌

I thought the absence of the oil had heated and fried the crankshaft position sensor? (hoping)
Thinking maybe just replace the crankshaft position sensor?

Looked on Ebay and found sensor replacements. Resistance specs are .500 +-50. I checked the sensor on my old fried stator and it read .528 so I thought I'd swap it out. (to the left of the current one, see pic below)

Pulled my current stator and the sensor read .533 which is considered good. Looked over the stator and no burnt coils, but a few were a bit darker, so I re=installed it.

Checked continuity on all 3 of the stator connectors. All good.

Tried to clear the code through the diagnostics menu. History erasure (4 WD/Rel lock) but the code won't clear.

Called the local dealership, explained the situation, said to unplug the regulator/rectifier and if it starts... the stator is bad. Well it wouldn't start.

Still have the code 12, can't clear it and it won't crank.

Thinking of buying a new stator and starting over.

Any other ideas?
Did you ever get the problem just curious I’m having the same problem but my drain plug backed out and lost oil but now it won’t crank and throwing code 12

1 - 6 of 6 Posts