Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i purchased a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 660 i cant afford to give it to a dealer and get charged $1200 plus i would rather do this myself to know how to do it.... when i first got it i noticed brakes were grabbing got brand new pads, rotors and calipers to be safe and it seemed a little better but the rhino seems to hesitate to go and if u just baby the pedal good luck getting it moving unless you've been driving it awhile.... anyways it runs fine starts fine when i am driving it if i punch it it grabs good and i get up to about 40mph i changed oil with 10w40 motorcycle oil with no friction additives or anything also said it was fine for wet clutches.... now to the hard part i know i need to inspect the belt... odometer got reset when a new one went in from last owner and even the dealer that fixed it for him couldn't get it to work to get original milage.... i really wanna get it mechanically sound for winter i mean im sure it would keep going for awhile as i dont beat on it and have changed all fluids and basically did a full tune up.... could the belt be slipping possibly? like i said when ur moving the thing gets up and goes if u give it gas its a beast to be honest.... also if i do need to replace this i need a really good guide and a good place to buy the parts and not go over 700 dollars unless its a killer deal.... thanks guys

P.S owner was a older guy said it has about 2300 miles i have put 20 on it in 2 weeks but who really knows

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
First thing i would recommend to anyone buying a used rhino is remove and service the primary and secondary sheaves, most times they are packed with dirt not allowing the weights to operate properly in the sheave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimclemjr

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Text me 325 201 2700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,513 Posts
Take clutch cover off clutch, notice where belt is sitting in the secondary the one one the front is the belt sitting even with the top ofit or down in it, if down in it, the primary need attention like cleaning etc, if belt is where it should be, get up against something in high range, 4wd that will not move and ease into the gas, you are trying to put vehicle in a bind, give it gas, does rpm bog down like it should or maintain or go up, if the latter, look down, do you see anything moving , no then your wet clutch is slipping, if the primary only is moving then belt slipping

Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts