Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2011 Rhino 700 Special Edition
9 Posts
I checked the slip joint and it was tight as new, cleaned and greased it and it didn't make any difference. I put bigger bolts in that fit the oversized holes in the bracket for the rear end. I found that standard sized bolt instead of metric fit the holes perfectly. I used grade 8 and torqued them to the spec for the bolt. The aftermarket rear end had undersized holes that I reamed out to fit the bolts. It does not flex at all and seemed to quiet it down a little. I only have one last thing to try at some point, the axle on drivers side is loose at the cv joint. I will live with the noise for now. I did find one thing the made the noise go away. I put 300 pound tractor weights in the bed to have traction enough to back hopper wagons full into the barn. The extra weight stopped the noise completely. I did find I could use only #100 and it worked also.

· Registered
2005 Yamaha Rhino Hunter Ed.
23 Posts
I replaced the right side axle because the boot was bad first but it was not it . The only thing I found is when it has weight in it the noise is gone. I now have a #100 tractor weight in it all the time and noise is gone. The axle I didn't replace is probably the source of the noise.

· Registered
2011 Rhino 700 Special Edition
9 Posts
So is it normal for the machine to be in 2 wheel drive high jacked up no tires touching ground and spin left tire and right tire spins the same as left tire??? Just seems off to my past experiences. Thought they would spin opposite.

· Registered
2005 Yamaha Rhino Hunter Ed.
23 Posts
mine is doing same thing new diff new axles still at a slow speed makes same noise any clues ??????
I will list the things I checked, if that will help. I removed and examined the slip joint and drive shaft parts and cleaned/ re-greased re-assembled. I removed and bolts and checked for cracked welds and brackets for rear end supports. I noticed the bolts were undersized so I found that SAE grade 8 bolts that fit the bracket holes and reinstalled with the rear end. I replaced the right rear axle. I replaced the bearings and seals for both rear knuckles and cleaned and re-greased the knuckle bolts. My Rhino was bought used but had a brand new aftermarket rear end in it. I changed out the oil to Amsoil. the only thing not replaced was the left rear axle and it does seem very loose at outer joint but boot is still good. I have chosen to wait to replace and just put weight in bed to make sound disappear. It will fail and then will replace. I hope this helps. Also to note the shocks are adjusted to highest position, stock shocks.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts