Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clicking sound coming from the back end of my Rhino. I changed both axles thinking it was the CV joints. But the clicking is still there. It is worse when turning and sounds like it is on the right side. Is there anyone else that had this problem and what was the cause of it for you, and how did you fix it?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the rear diff mount flexing while turning (known issue) and there's an aftermarket bracket to help stiffen it up. I'd first check your rear diff mounting bolts are torqued down to spec.
I did check the diff mounting bolts, they are tight. I didn’t think of the bracket flexing though. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interestingly enough I have the same thing happening right now that I am chasing down. I will check these out and update when with what I find as well

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Sucker is showroom clean. Or cleaner. Lol. I wish mine was that clean. And I just even blew all the dirt off and pressure washed it.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly there has been no fix. At this point I'm just waiting for it to die so I know what's wrong.
Yes we are in the same situation. noise is exactly the same. have done both rear axles and re secured the differential with a aftermarket bottom support. noise in the same forward or backwards. drained and changed the rear differential fluid. no sign of any metal in fluid. i will let you know if we find anything. thanks

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Rhino Hunter Ed.
20 Posts
I have the same issue, noise seems to be coming from the right rear. I tore it down and found the bearing on axle hub, has a spot that catches. and it feels tight with a catchy movement. I also have a boot torn on same axle. I bought a new axle and had it torn down to install it and was inspecting the seals and bearings. I removed the axle from the shipping box and found it was damaged. I cleaned and regreased and installed all the old parts. I ordered seals and stainless steel sealed bearings for it also. I'm trying to get something done with the axle. my rhino 660 is new to me and I have a little info from the last owner. He put a new aftermarket rearend in it. I will now also look hard at the support.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received all the new parts and installed the axle first and put it back together. I took it for a spin and the sound was still there, although not near as bad. It was now only clicking when turning. Before it was making the noise even while driving strait. Next I tore it back down and changed the bearings and seals and greased everything, I did this to figure out what was causing it to make the sound. I also looked at the brackets for the rear diff and welds for them and they looked fine. I also torqued the bolts for it. I then tried it again... and still has the clicking noise. The rear end was replaced by the previous owner with a cheap import right before I bought it. I am now going to just drive it and ignore it until something lets loose or is visually worn or broken.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought of checking the slip joint the only reason I didn't was it seems to have plenty of power going strait and no sound. I will check mine though since someone else thought the same as I did. I just disregarded the idea on my own. It is definitely a possibility. It doesn't look like oil will drain out of anything if I remove the rear drive shaft completely to check everything, or will it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I checked the slip joint and it was tight as new, cleaned and greased it and it didn't make any difference. I put bigger bolts in that fit the oversized holes in the bracket for the rear end. I found that standard sized bolt instead of metric fit the holes perfectly. I used grade 8 and torqued them to the spec for the bolt. The aftermarket rear end had undersized holes that I reamed out to fit the bolts. It does not flex at all and seemed to quiet it down a little. I only have one last thing to try at some point, the axle on drivers side is loose at the cv joint. I will live with the noise for now. I did find one thing the made the noise go away. I put 300 pound tractor weights in the bed to have traction enough to back hopper wagons full into the barn. The extra weight stopped the noise completely. I did find I could use only #100 and it worked also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts