Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For dunning what does the Blue and Orange Clutch springs give you over the stock clutch spring.??

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
orange is stock on a 700. gold is more stiff, purple is inbetween not sure on blue. it will hold RPM's higher on shift out and make back shifting when hitting an incline quicker.

I run orange in my 660 with a JBS and it kicks ass in the dunes!

·
Registered
581 Posts
white Stiffer
gold
purple
orange
blue
red Softer

A blue spring is generally what I run in a unit used in hardpack. As load increases we stiffen the secondary to hold the shiftout longer. In a few very heavy 660's such as Tom Graves Baja 1000 Tank we use a gold. If you run in the dunes and have paddles I would recommend either a orange or gold depending on what clutch weight/horsepower/suspension... I would recommend a set of valve springs looking at your mods especially if you are gonna be spinning it in the sand all the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Info

I now see why I have increased my RPM so much ( about 1000) with the Orange spring above what I did with my Stock Spring. I hated twisting the engine in the 6,000 to 7400 Range when dunning. I do have heavy duty valve springs but only running a Mud Buster cam. I think it likes the 5-6000 range. I am going back to the stock spring next run. Thank you for the info on the Red spring too. That might be a good choice. I changed from 14 gram grease type to 14 gram greaseless weights. When I floor it at the drags it hits 7400 RPM out of the hole and holds it at 7,000 RPM until it hits 52 MPH in the sand with (26" Paddles) Probably about 54MPH or so but I swear the grease type weights kept it about 7,000 RPM out of the hole and then with the stock secondary spring went down to 6,000 RPM at 52 MPH. If the stock spring does not work I will get a Red one from you guys.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What do you mean "shift out"? I thought the secondary was just there to take up tension on the belt from the primary. Does it perform a torque sensing function like on a snowmobile? Does my Rhino have a powerglide? :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mustang...the secondary is your other gear...like the sprockets on your 10 speed bike...the primary clutch....starts out as small as can be...at the bottom of shevs...like the front 13 tooth dirk bike sproket...the wheight in side hold it there untill centrifical force makes them roll out and the shevs squish together and the belt starts riding higher and moveing to the outer part like the big sproket on ten speed and you go faster.....at the same time the secondary starts out on the large outer edge...like the big rear sproket on dirt bike...great for takeing off and hill climes....and the large spring holds it there and as the belt spins faster it over comes the spring and the secondary opens up and the belt drops down in and belt rids down low like a small sproket now...and you have top speed......If you install the stiffer secondary spring it will "hold" it longer in the big sproket torqey hill clim mode...also if going fast and come onto a hill and slow down it will back shift into this gear faster....the front and back primary and secondary are shifting like this back and forth constant ly,,,,same as snomobile and scooter....(cvt trans)....if you ever have slipage and take -off that is the wet clutch that is behind these too bathed in oil...hopes this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts