Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

changing starter in Rhino 660

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mg93108 
#1 ·
We just inherited a Yahama ATV and UTV when we bought a cabin and we have fallen in love with trail riding. But now we have the added headache of maintaining them. We just took our Rhino in, paid over $500 because it was not starting. They changed the solenoid. A neighbor said it was probably the armature inside the starter that was shorting. So I ask, is it hard to change the starter? What do you have to move and take off and how complicated it it to replace the starter? Just to let you know, I am a woman but I am willing to try this myself if it can feasibly be done. It is a Rhino 2006 660.

#2 · (Edited)
Replacing the starter motor is a pretty easy job. The first thing to do is to disconnect the cables from the battery such that you cannot have an accidental big spark. You will have to take the airbox and possibly carburetor off to get easy access to the starter motor. Perhaps also the air duct alongside of those items. You will need a metric socket wrench and open end wrench set.

Download a copy of the Yamaha service manual for the 660, It will give you the electrical specs so that you can test the motor to make sure that it is indeed bad. It will also give you the details as to removal of the motor. Tinken has listed links for download in his signature A link to one of his posts below, click on the "660" in the signature at the very bottom of the post:

http://www.rhinoforums.net/826114-post13.html

#4 ·
Rhino starter

Thanks, Steve and Brian. It was easy to get at the starter. We are now waiting for a new one ordered online. Next ? on our Yahama 2006 ATV. I was riding it one evening and I idled it down and it the engine just stopped. I could not get it started again. To make a long story short, we bought a compression tester and it has no compression. Why would that happen suddenly? One minute I am flying down the road and the next second it dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.