Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Change Rear Brake Rotor

23K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brian Lee Rhino450 
#1 ·
I have an 06 yamaha rhino and I need to change out the rear brake rotor. I heard you have to take everything off but the flag mount. Any suggestions on where to start?

#2 ·
drop you rear skid plate, remove the bake caliper, unbolt the differential and slide it back. then you can unbolt the rotor. nothing too difficult, just a pain in the ass.
taking the dump bed off might help out a little too.
if youve got a leaky diff seal id replace it while your there.

#6 ·
I am posting on this old thread to help somebody else out and save them some time. I found that my rear differential would not slide back enough without removing the two axles first. I fought with it for a few hours trying to do it first without removing them. I them removed them and then the diff almost fell out on it's own and I was able to remove the diff out the bottom of the frame.

Another good thing to look at when you are that far is to check the condition of the splines on the drive shaft and the collar. I discovered that my mine were worn and getting pointy and I also found that I had a missing circlip and the plastic wear plug in the end of the driveshaft was totally disintegrated. I bit the bullet and bought everything new so that I would not get stuck out on the trail with a break down in the future. You 700 folks don't know how nice you have it with your outboard brake rotors! (This may be a future mod for me!

I started all of this to install the EBC larger diameter rear brake rotor kit. I hope this helps somebody else.

#9 ·
Nothing went wrong there is still air in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.