Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I have a friends 2007 Yamaha 450 Rhino 4x4 that has a problem. It will idle good and run fine until almost full throttle and it falls on it's face. It will start cutting out and backfire a little. It has been at a repair shop with no luck after he was charged over $600 for the repair. He was charged for a carb cleaning,new valves and setting the valves,fuel filter. Things I have done: Removed and cleaned carb,set pilot screw at 2 1/2 turns out,the intake valve was tight and the exhaust valve was loose. Set them at .08. New spark plug, inspected air filter,adjusted throttle cable(it had a whole lot of slack),drained gas and cleaned tank(only a small amout of trash and a couple drops of water were found. The carb had no evidence of being gummed up. The diaphram on the side of the carb looks like it has had some carb cleaner on it before. But it still looks good.
Thanks to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have you tried changing the main jet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about not posting an update. This forum is blocked on my work computer. I have spent some late nights working on this Rhino. As it turns out the last shop messed the carb up. The put the main jets in the wrong place. The 133.5? jet was on the side and not in the middle. It had the 57.? jet in the middle. I got it going and it runs great but I think it should run a little better. The owner picked it up today and he said it runs great to him. I will be getting it back after hunting season. The dealer didn't have new jets an pilot screw in stock. He wants new jets & the diaphram on the side replaced. What main jet number do you think I need? Should I stick to the stock #133.? jet. With this atv being at a few people before me I think someone might have used a torch tip drill set to clean jets and made them bigger. I will feel better about the repair once I put new parts in the carb. I appreciate the advice. The reverse light blinks after you rev it to some high rpm's. I called a delaership and they said that was normal if it blinked only while in neutral. The owner said he is satisfied with it. Thats all that matters. It just seems like it's running a little bit rich. I have the idle jet screw backed out at 2 turns. The head of that screw is almost stripped(that's from the previous people that worked on it). That makes it hard to set. I got it the best I could.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts