Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question- looking for the best cam option for a 686 build going 11:1 compression. Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hey James, How does the stage 1 compare to the stage 2 with springs. is there a map for the MSD with the stage 2 cam? By the way, your sheave rocks Bro.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
stage 1 is all low end...and not much difference...

stage 2 is across the board improvement, much more noticeable

and heck ya his sheave kicks ass! lol

·
Banned
833 Posts
stage 1 is all low end...and not much difference...

stage 2 is across the board improvement, much more noticeable

and heck ya his sheave kicks ass! lol
Ditto on all points! LOL Thanks Ya'll!!!

You won't need springs with the 700 just the 660's ... there is a map for stage 2 & Muzzy's.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I got my stage 1 from Hunterworks. Todd said that it was hard to map a stage 2 cam. Who has a map for the MAD with my mods and a stage 2 cam? Where can I find a stage 2 and springs?

·
Registered
985 Posts
How much more top end will I get out of a stage 32 with springs? Where can I get a map for the MAD?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ok. Then I can stay with my current setup. Thanx

·
Registered
144 Posts
im running a stage one raptor cam with a 11:1 and it has great bottom to mid but lacks the top end pull. ill be switching to a stage 2 raptor cam and springs over the winter.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We have our own grind Web that we have been running for years in all of out 686 motors. It does require springs. Are we talking about 660 or 700 MSD maps now?

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I mainly dune Glamis and run some mountain trails in summer. Any thoughts on the Mud Buster cam for my application? No MSD for me to use map with.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The mud buster is useless for dunes. I'd go with a stage two, or a custom grind from webcams. I have a webcam from benchmark, and it's a mid/high rpm cam and I LOVE it. Then again, I mainly ride logging roads and high speed stuff. You won't see much gains with the mud buster (in my opinion).

·
Registered
581 Posts
The mud buster is useless for dunes. I'd go with a stage two, or a custom grind from webcams. I have a webcam from benchmark, and it's a mid/high rpm cam and I LOVE it. Then again, I mainly ride logging roads and high speed stuff. You won't see much gains with the mud buster (in my opinion).

x2 on the mudbuster. I stock 2 grinds of ours from WEB. The smaller of the two requires springs and retainers and is a great all arounder. The larger of the two requires springs and retainers as well as modified rockers. On average we see about a 3hp at the wheels peak difference between the two. While the larger cam does perform better in the high rpm's it definetely gives up a bit on the front side.

Nate
Alba Racing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts