Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Looking to buy a Rhino from you fine American folks... found a great deal on a sweet Rhino on here, but it would be a 24 hour drive to go see it. :)

Assuming I go ahead with the purchase, what would everyone recommend the best way to pay? Escrow? Anything better?

I have no reason to doubt the trustworthiness of the gentleman selling the rig, but I'm a little leery of sending 10K certified cheque or whatever.

How do we both guarantee we're not getting ripped off? I can't be the first guy in the world with this issue, so wondering what's the 'norm' around here.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, that's the ideal scenario... However, I'd need to fly down, pay, fly back, and STILL arrange to have it shipped up here (or at least the closest point of entry into the US).

Anyone know how much escrow fees are on 10k? Might be cheaper to book a flight. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
you hire a local broker in the area to make the work for you.

Someone in the powersports business or car business I am sure for a handfull of Benjimins make an inspection, title search, etc... for you and may even help arrange for shipping.

·
Registered
336 Posts
btw services vary by their service level and what state but guessing on a buy like this you would be looking at $200

·
Registered
178 Posts
well, that's the ideal scenario... However, I'd need to fly down, pay, fly back, and STILL arrange to have it shipped up here (or at least the closest point of entry into the US).

Anyone know how much escrow fees are on 10k? Might be cheaper to book a flight. :)
Ok, I thought you were coming down to pick it up. I helped a canadian friend buy a local car here in WA. I went and look at the car, put the downpayment, give the ok to my buddy and he then came down with a trailer and picked it up....it was from ebay though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... Anyone ever dealt with escrow.com? Seems like a good way to do it, and works out to less than $200!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys... Anyone ever dealt with escrow.com? Seems like a good way to do it, and works out to less than $200!
Sounds like a good idea, however, I'm not sure you will find a lot of people willing to ship an $8000 machine to another country or to the border without money in hand. I would just wait for someone with cash to buy it.
I would not buy anything off of any website like craigslist or whatever and give the person the money hoping that when your shipping company shows up he hands it over. Even with ebay people can create false accounts and artificially raise their score making them look trustworthy. I would look for something that is within a 10 hour drive from your house. Drive down stay in a hotel, look at it in the morning and drive back that night.
Good luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I could find a sweet deal within 10 hours, I'd totally be up for the drive. BUT... I don't think there are many of the machines I'm looking at that close!

I agree though that some sellers would prefer cash in hand... But escrow seems not too onerous... Hoping the seller agrees!

I've sent thousands of dollars to people without escrow to buy guns here in Canada, and never been burned... But maybe I'm too trusting!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
1st choice:Ok, I thought you were coming down to pick it up. I helped a canadian friend buy a local car here in WA. I went and look at the car, put the downpayment, give the ok to my buddy and he then came down with a trailer and picked it up....it was from ebay though.

second choice:
you hire a local broker in the area to make the work for you.

Someone in the powersports business or car business I am sure for a handfull of Benjimins make an inspection, title search, etc... for you and may even help arrange for shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts