Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was working on my rhino doing various things to it non engine related. Probably over a month. Once I was done I took it out to ride and it was smoking abit. I checked oil and it had a small gray streak in it. I thought that was odd so I flushed the oil a couple times and put new oil and filter in it. Now it smokes worse and burns it faster than fuel. Spark plug has oil on it and if you put your finger in the exhaust pipe it comes out covered in raw oil. Compression test showed 110psi on it. I haven’t tore the engine apart as I’m buying a Viking but want to start working on it aswell. Any ideas would be helpful. It’s a 2009 rhino 700

·
Registered
07 686, msd cdi, twin-air filter, Tyrex shocks, stage 1 hot cam, lots of old school tuning tricks
101 Posts
How many miles/ hours? I had similar issues with my 07 660. Had about 3500 miles/350 hours when I bought it. It would burn oil from the full mark down to below the add mark on the dipstick on a 35 mile ride. My problem was a worn out cylinder and piston. Since the cylinder was worn, I bored it out to a 686. I'm thinking you're looking at new rings at the minimum, complete top end rebuild worst case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got about 1000km since I owned it. The top end was rebuilt due to flooding it but can’t find paperwork now to see what they did. I’m assuming I won’t know until I pull it apart. Thought it was bad since oil is dripping out of exhaust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of what looks like bad wear on the cylinder wall. Is this normal? Also the piston moves slightly front to back in the bore. Not sure if that’s normal. It looks like the exhaust seal is gone as the exhaust port that attaches to the exhaust head is full of oil residue but not any burnt oil on the face of the valves themselves.

·
Registered
07 686, msd cdi, twin-air filter, Tyrex shocks, stage 1 hot cam, lots of old school tuning tricks
101 Posts
That cylinder does not look good. I'd take it off and have a machine shop check it out for you. Best case you could bore it out for a larger piston. Worst case, you could hopefully have it resleeved back to stock size. LA Sleeve and Millennium both do quality resleeves.

This is definitely not normal cylinder wear. Something is wrong. I'd be real interested in seeing what the piston looks like. The critical measurement for a piston is the clearance from the piston skirt to the cylinder wall. A little back and forth movement may not be an issue, but a lot of movement definitely is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That cylinder does not look good. I'd take it off and have a machine shop check it out for you. Best case you could bore it out for a larger piston. Worst case, you could hopefully have it resleeved back to stock size. LA Sleeve and Millennium both do quality resleeves.

This is definitely not normal cylinder wear. Something is wrong. I'd be real interested in seeing what the piston looks like. The critical measurement for a piston is the clearance from the piston skirt to the cylinder wall. A little back and forth movement may not be an issue, but a lot of movement definitely is.
Ok I’ll look at getting the piston and cylinder pulled and take some more pictures. It seemed to run ok when it was going just lots of smoke

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been searching and finding yes and no. Would a 06 raptor 700 cylinder fit on my 09 rhino. I’ve found one for 100$ and want to see if it’s a cross over.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I can’t give an answer to this thread because I ended up selling the rhino. Didn’t have the time with the kids to fix it all up. I’ll have to wait for my Viking to show up to go riding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts