• great idea would consider

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bracket widening 6" extended each side & 2" Lift

Long travel kits are ridiculously expensive so I have created a widening / lift kit with brackets. Works awesome it is not long travel but it adds the stability that I was after without spending 5k. I created this after i laid my rhino over several times one hurt pretty bad! Would there be any interest in this kit? Check back for updates I checked wheel travel in front this morning see below near bottom of thread. Video page 2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

the purpose of a long travel kit is to make the suspension have double the wheel travel and the by product of that is a wider stance, so all you have now is a wide rhino with still only 7 inches of travel...the difference in ride quality is amazing when you do decide to step upto the 14 inches of travel they offer....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have a cost yet. I have ran mine to test it and I am satisfied 100% I have the templates from my design so I can make another one. I am currently seeing if there is interest. If there is enough interest I will figure a price. I ride in Tn where there is alot of rock climbing and steep hills the extra width makes riding feel alot safer which makes it more fun. The cost is fractions ofthe cost of long travel, its mainly the time to make the parts. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ride quality is improved from the width. The main function of this design is stability, stability, stability, and cost. It is not intended to be as smooth as long travel. It does have more flex then factory though. If anyone knows Wheeling in the Country in Summertown, Tn. you would see the benefit of a system like this. I want opinions and comments so keep em coming!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Like camshaw said.. the purpose of long travel isn't just wider suspension .. its double the travel coilover shocks longer axles longer wheels bases with most kits so its more stable front to back and side to side and rides a milking times better and handles bumps and jumps a ton better

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

sounds like travel isn't what you guys want, you only want wider stance....so if thats the case to make it a better product you need to truss or triangulate the two plates into eachother to stiffen them up, currently the only thing keeping the suspension from being pushed or pulled forward or aft is the thickness of your plates, thats my observation, good luck with them....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Completely understand and would own long travel if it was in my budget. I think there is alot of people out there that are in the same boat. This is an alternative to expensive long travel not a replacement. I wanted stability and ground clearence. I have an additional 2 inches in ground clearance and 12" in with. I cound make a kit that also adds wheel base but I wanted to start simpler to test it out. The only thing holding me back from travel is my Tereyx shocks. When they are removed the arms swing freely quite a bit without bottming out the axles. Please do not take me wrong this is not a replacement or an equal to long travel and I do not claim it to be, but the benefits I get a pretty impressive based on cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes camshaw you are spot on. I am going to truss it between the brackets and maybe gusset it behind the last bracket back to the frame. Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
good job, and agree with camshaw, but for stability, you nailed it.. and not sure if it me, or if you have alot of weight in rear but holy camber batman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes camber in the rear will be addressed simple fix by moving the upper holes out and the bottom holes in slightly. This is the first iteration of the design starting from zero. No issues the way it is so for but it will be corrected. I know have a baseline. I took it out last weekend and never once felt like I was going to lay it over on the side which was nice because my 7 year old son was riding shotgun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
12" of wheel travel in the front

I had a chance this morning to remove the front left shock to see how much wheel travel I had. I got 12" of true wheel travel without jeopardizing CV angles or bottoming out axle. Phone will not post pictures I will post later on computer. Photos currently in my gallery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jump with widening kit

Had a chance to jump a little hill at a friends house after putting the last brace on. Landed smooth need to find a bigger jump next time. Pretty good wheel travel on the back tire...Video from youtube
check it out in slow motion.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
in th in the works

come on guys got a lot o got a lot of views but no comments new design would love to manufacture one but my wife wit would no want to waste money if no interest would be long travel!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts