Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I nose dive after hitting little hills in the trails and I'm tired of my rear shocks clunking every time they extend too far (due to removal of rear sway bar by dealer). I am considering bilstein shocks since that seems to be the most popular on this forum, but where is the best place to buy them?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Camshaw has a contact and all the downlow on them.

I got some 2010 sport resis for 5 Hun and love the difference they make.

·
7,025 Posts
Paging camshaw!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I guess everyone has their own opinions on things but it took me a while to upgrade my shocks.

I could not find any really convincing posts. Finally I bit the bullet on the sport resis and tried them out last week on a super whoops trail.

I could not believe the difference!

I now wonder how much different some bill steins or walker Evans are, but a good source told me the sport resis are the best bet unless you goto mid or long travel, then the aftermarkets shine more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with sport resis does it still feel like your going to fly through the windshield after hitting a hill in the trail going 25mph

·
Registered
661 Posts
No way, not at all.

I literally had to learn how to ride differently. On whoops is used to get down to 25 or slower and just ride them out without bucking all over the place.

With the new shocks I learned to brace myself into my seat with my left leg, hit the gas and fly through the whoops. I was surprised by how this wore me out but also how fast I finished the loop, like half the time.

Also, before I would go slow into deep bermed out corners since it felt like I would tip into them. With the shocks I can fly into them, actually sliding like you see in commercials.

It definitely put the sport into my rhino.

Plus, I have not tuned them at all, I put them at the stock setting.

I can't imagine what a long travel would do.

I work with a guy that raced quads as a pro and he said suspension mods are first on any new race quad before the motor work.

Only issue with resis is that they only come up a few times a year. Also, some leak but you can get them serviced by the dealer for like $125, they typically sell used for $500. New from dealer is an amazing +2k. I have never seen any leak reports on bils or WERS.

Get something, just make sure it has a resivour, but I guess bilsteins do not need one since their volume is sufficient to keep the oil cool.

On those stock shocks, once they get hot you better make sure you have good skid plates and harnesses, you are going flying!

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I guess everyone has their own opinions on things but it took me a while to upgrade my shocks.

I could not find any really convincing posts. Finally I bit the bullet on the sport resis and tried them out last week on a super whoops trail.

I could not believe the difference!

I now wonder how much different some bill steins or walker Evans are, but a good source told me the sport resis are the best bet unless you goto mid or long travel, then the aftermarkets shine more.
I know this is an old thread....I was browsing, checked it out and Ya!!! Shocks even the SR **Sport Ressies** make such a difference, IMHO. But, I won't pull the trigger and buy way overpriced travel kits, not right now. They will come down in price soon, I will be patient. I like the mid travel kit, that's what I want.

Who wants to buy me the complete kit? :beer3: * J/K * .,......Not:eek2:

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
bilsteins are a 60,000 mile shock and a 2" diameter body,they hold more oil then the oem resi shocks and stay the coolest then any stock travel shock...bilstein shocks by gary at microtouch....a good guy, here in so cal...

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I would use Bilsteins if I had a Mid Travel kit, like a +3. Sport Ressies on stock suspension is adequate, cause I can't justify the cost of shocks for a rhino, insane. :eek5:

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
I run Bilsteins on stock suspension. You can get them for $500 used. They are rebuildable, so They will last the life of the vehicle. I have 300lb springs in front and 400 in the rear, set up pretty plush.

·
7,025 Posts
I run Bilsteins on stock suspension. You can get them for $500 used. They are rebuildable, so They will last the life of the vehicle. I have 300lb springs in front and 400 in the rear, set up pretty plush.
Find me a set Michael

·
7,025 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts