Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at buying a set of duro power grips or moto mtc tires and I've seen a few more .. Are the moto mtc radials? I haven't seen any info saying either way.

I'm running 14s and guess I'm stuck with getting 26s. Or does anyone make a similar tire in 27"?

Anyone running them how do you like them?

· Registered
322 Posts
I've run the P-Grips for two seasons now with no problems. 25-10-12 on the back and 25-8-12's up front. Work very well in all conditions. We mainly ride rocky covered trails with some river beds and mud holes mixed in. i rarely get stuck, only if i get high centered. I'm thinking i will replace mine with 26-9-12's on all four corners. RockyMountainATV has the best price that i have seen. Good Luck.

· Registered
58 Posts
Here's probably more info than you want on some Duro's I just installed:

I just purchased a set of Duro Power Grip tires for my ’09 Rhino 700 Special Edition with factory aluminum wheels. The old tires were OEM Maxxis NHS 25X8-12 in front and 25X10-12 in the rear with 4000 miles on them . I would judge them to be about 80% worn. They were still fine for rocky conditions but had become essentially ‘slicks’ in the soft sandy conditions of southern Utah. They are 4 ply bias and never had a puncture.

I also have a ’11 Polaris RZR-S with Maxxis Big Horn tires and like them a lot in the sand. In looking for replacement tires for the Rhino I came across the Duro Power Grips which are a 6 ply radial and look just like the Big Horn’s but are $20. to $25.00 p/tire less expensive. That’s like getting one tire for free. These tires state right on the sidewall,
“Do not inflate over 45kg (7 PSI) on the road.” That seems pretty low as a max pressure on a loaded Rhino to me.

There’s been a lot of talk about the Duro’s having widely varying weights but here’s what I found out:

Un-mounted, the Duro 25x8’s weighed 22.6 lbs. each exactly, compared to 16.8 lbs. for the Maxxis that I took off. The Duro 25x10’s weighed 28.4 and 28.6 lbs., compared to the Maxxis rears that I took off at 17.8 lbs.lbs.

I placed the tires on a workbench and measured the height and width mounted on the wheel with no weight on them and the front tires aired up to 7 psi. The Duro’s measured 24 ¾” tall and 7 ¾” wide compared to the Maxxis at 24-5/8” tall and 7 ¾” wide.
At 10 psi in the rear the Duro’s measured 24 ¾” tall and 10 ¼” wide compared to the Maxxis’ at 24- ¾” tall and 9 ¾” wide.

Conclusions:

1) Of the 4 new tires purchased, the fronts weighed exactly the same and the rears differed by only .02 lbs.

2) The tires were almost exactly the same height as the OEM’s at 24 ¾” dispelling the myth that they are smaller. They do look smaller though because of the design.

3) The front tires are the same width as the OEM’s, the rears are 1” wider.

4) The tires are heavier! The fronts weight 5.8 lbs. more and the rears weigh 10.7 more than the OEM take off’s. That is probably attributed to several factors, they are 6 ply vs. 4 ply for the OEM, they are radial vs. bias ply for the OEM, and they are brand new vs. 80% worn.

I put 50 miles on them on Forest Service roads. No issues whatsoever, the Rhino seems to steer easier and ride softer, there was no vibration of any kind. I like them and they were a good value.

· Registered
42 Posts
Hey redboots where I so. Utah do you ride I live down in st. George. Also what psi do you run your power grips at? 7 psi on the side wall makes me nervous on mine considering you are supposed to run tires at 10 and 13 on the rhinos.thanks ride safe

· Registered
58 Posts
We live in Kanab. I took them for the first run yesterday up on the Kaibab where it's cool. I ran 7 psi front and 10 psi rear. The rear felt a little 'squishy' in turns but it might just be because they are radial and I've been used to the bias ply.

· Registered
689 Posts
I have moto mtc's and I love them... have about 300 miles on my 28's and they show very little wear.. and yes they are a radial.... I am running 55 mph with those tires and extremely satisfied....

· Registered
1,074 Posts
I've heard the Artrax CTX are a good option. Probably be my next set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.