Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very unfortunate experience with Team industries last week. I want to share my experience with everyone in hopes it can save some one from the same outcome. I had over 12k invested in an awesome Can am Maverick setup. Unfortunatly a team clutch was part of my upgrades and after only 100 miles. (Stock clutch lasted 500 miles and was perfect when I did the supposid uprade) The Team industries cluth absolutly exploded and shot a ramp ( with the nut and bolt) through the plastics and stuck in the back of the drivers seat. If it would have been 3" higher this would have gone through the hole in the seat and stabbed me in the neck. Team industries states they only recommend their clutch for stock applications. (interesting as aerocharger includes them with their kit) Team also states that they offer no warrant on their products and it is on the consumer as this is a performance product. I even spoke with Mark the plant manager and he went as far as stating that they dont even have a warranty department. I asked him were the vm for prompt #2 went as it states warranty department on their greeting, he did not have an answer for me. After hours of debating with team industries so called warranty department they will not stand behind their product or do anything for me. When the clutch exploded it took out the motor and several other parts. I am now forced to sell my maverick in pieces due to my trust in team industries. Do your self a favor and spend the extra $ on the STM primary as it could cost you everything if you dont.

Thank you for reading this post

Darren

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hate to break it to you the STM clutch can also explode. Go take a gander at the Maverick forum and you will find threads.

What type of RPMs were you spinning?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that all parts can break. Its the fact they wont stand behind their product that bothers me.

I was cruising at 7000 rpms when it broke. My machine wasnt even warmed up yet. I was only a half mile from home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for your problems! That's a bummer.Where are you located and how much are you selling the broken maverick for?
I am located in Denver and have way to much in this maverick.
I am trying to refrain from selling the whole thing. I am going to start by selling the following and see what i can come up with. I am open to resonable offers on offers on everything although I doubt anything would work on the rhinos.

For sale
1000cc v twin 101 hp motor"needs crank"
transmission
Turbo kit
Pcv and auto tuner
Ecu keys and gauge cluster. (Ecu is evo tuned)
Power steering parts
Stm secondary clutch
Set of 4 maverick beadlock wheels and tires only 5 miles on them.
Set of 4 commander xt rims and tires 20 miles on them.

I am also open to any suggestions regarding team industries. I assume I am screwed but I am more than willing to listen to any suggestions folks may have.
Thank you for your time.
Darren

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
I sell Team clutches and here is where I think they are.

They say the clutches are not for turbo models only stock engines, they can't control what the turbo charger companies do with their clutch

I would be talking to aerocharger not team

Also, Team has discontinued all drive clutches, not because they are having issues but due to production being so busy making OEM parts, they can't get to them

I have sold team clutches for a couple years, rarely a issue at all and they have gone above and beyond for us when there was a problem

Had one cracked the other day no questions asked they sent him a new one.

Aerocharger should have been talking to them about not the consumer in my opinion.

It sucks it came apart but I think I would be blaming Areocharger for using their product against Team's advice.

Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting, I did not realize they discontinued their aftermarket clutch line. I did not purchase the clutch from Aerocharger. I purchased it from a shop in Denver. I dont see how you can hold a re-seller responsible for a product that they did not manufacture? The responsibility should be with the manufacture. While doing my research I did personally speak to a sales rep at team industries and he told me this clutch would be exactly what I need. They even suggested the weight to start with for a turbo application. At no point during the selling process did they ever state that they did not recommend this product for a turbo application. They also did not mention that there is no warranty on their product.

Team is obviously recommending this for turbo applications. In fact every advertisement you see states it is good for a turbo application. I highly doubt that all of the re-sellers are taking a risk and installing it into applications team does not recommend. See the ads below.

Hunterworks. Yours is the only website I found that does not specifically state turbo applications.

TEAM Primary Clutch for Can Am Maverick (OEM and Aftermarket Turbo) : Clutching & Belt Life
$729.00
TEAM Primary Clutch for Can Am Maverick (OEM and Aftermarket Turbo) - Transform your Can Am ATV or UTV with the TEAM Rapid Response drive clutch.

TEAM Primary Clutch for Can Am Maverick (OEM and Aftermarket Turbo) : Clutching & Belt Life

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
Interesting, I did not realize they discontinued their aftermarket clutch line. I did not purchase the clutch from Aerocharger. I purchased it from a shop in Denver. I dont see how you can hold a re-seller responsible for a product that they did not manufacture? The responsibility should be with the manufacture. While doing my research I did personally speak to a sales rep at team industries and he told me this clutch would be exactly what I need. They even suggested the weight to start with for a turbo application. At no point during the selling process did they ever state that they did not recommend this product for a turbo application. They also did not mention that there is no warranty on their product.

Team is obviously recommending this for turbo applications. In fact every advertisement you see states it is good for a turbo application. I highly doubt that all of the re-sellers are taking a risk and installing it into applications team does not recommend. See the ads below.

Hunterworks. Yours is the only website I found that does not specifically state turbo applications.

$729.00
TEAM Primary Clutch for Can Am Maverick (OEM and Aftermarket Turbo) - Transform your Can Am ATV or UTV with the TEAM Rapid Response drive clutch.

Just emailed the main guy at Team and it occurred to me when I read it, there are no sales reps at Team and he stated not for turbo.

They can't control what dealers do with their products so I would be looking at the guy who sold it to you

Also, I have sold a couple RZR ones to turbo guys but with a warning it is not for a turbo and no matter what happens no warranty, they still bought.

Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct, I should have been more specific. It was a tech guy that I spoke with. I specifically remember this because they only return calls on Monday mornings (or something weird like that) so it took me a while to speak with someone.

I am also well aware that there is a Maverick forum but I know may Rhino owners like to put aftermarket parts on their vehicles as well.

I didnt realize we were to be segregated by the vehicle brand we purchase. As a UTV enthusiast I was looking at this sport as a whole. Especially since this is a aftermarket part that I am sure may Rhino owners have considered using. I think the more information we can share the better. Just my $.02

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
They don't make one for a Yamaha is why I mentioned it

I guess as a dealer for them, we never mislead people and I know where they stand on turbo applications. I also know they are not set up for consumers but for dealer and distributors like myself. It is our job to get you the right information and in this case the place you bought it from mislead you and they are the ones to be pointing a finger at not Team, they do me very well every time.

I don't have a dog in the race at all but don't want to see them get bad press when it really isn't their fault in my opinion.

Todd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for your problems! That's a bummer.Where are you located and how much are you selling the broken maverick for?
I am located in Denver and have way to much in this maverick.
I am trying to refrain from selling the whole thing. I am going to start by selling the following and see what i can come up with. I am open to resonable offers on offers on everything although I doubt anything would work on the rhinos.

For sale
1000cc v twin 101 hp motor"needs crank"
transmission
Turbo kit
Pcv and auto tuner
Ecu keys and gauge cluster. (Ecu is evo tuned)
Power steering parts
Stm secondary clutch
Set of 4 maverick beadlock wheels and tires only 5 miles on them.
Set of 4 commander xt rims and tires 20 miles on them.

I am also open to any suggestions regarding team industries. I assume I am screwed but I am more than willing to listen to any suggestions folks may have.
Thank you for your time.
Darren
I am interested in the motor and stm secondary. PM me please I got family to visit in parker ,co beginning of july and can pick it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They don't make one for a Yamaha is why I mentioned it

I guess as a dealer for them, we never mislead people and I know where they stand on turbo applications. I also know they are not set up for consumers but for dealer and distributors like myself. It is our job to get you the right information and in this case the place you bought it from mislead you and they are the ones to be pointing a finger at not Team, they do me very well every time.

I don't have a dog in the race at all but don't want to see them get bad press when it really isn't their fault in my opinion.

Todd
Hunterworks,
Although I appreciate your input I have to disagree with with you. I feel this is completely on Team industries. I cant hold the dealer responsible for a product that they resold. Especially when the dealer and I called the team tech department together as I was comparing it to a STM and questions about the EBS. They never stated anything about not using it on a turbo application. If fact they told us exactly how to set it up for a turbo application. They may have told you not to use it in a turbo application but that is defiantly not the case here.
I think its pretty obvious they sell it for turbo applications. They have a video of one with an aerocharger right on their site. If you do a quick web search for maverick turbo clutch. one of the first results is evolution power sports

TEAM Primary Clutch for Can Am Maverick (OEM and ...
$729.00

This is actually kinda funny, here is an interesting break down of the above.

1.a person has an issue
2.calls for support/receives none
3.Posts his experience on here to enlighten others
4. vendors chime in to stand up for the manufacture.

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
You keep giving us links to the dealer not Team

Who at Team told you or them it was OK with a Turbo?

Why am I saying anything?

Because I know Team and I know their product, hate to see someone get on a forum and bad mouth them when it may or may not been their fault. So far the only people you have mentioned or proof of anything is a dealer that sells it.

EVO whatever is a dealer

Produce a name or proof of some actually at team and I will help you get to the bottom of it. If they actually said it I will help you get a replacement etc Again I don't have a dog in your race but I will help you.

Todd

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's a bit odd to me that Hunterworks is willing to help you out here, but your own dealer isn't. Have you gone to them - explained the situation, asked for help? It seems that the dealer would at the very least have a louder bark in this situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate the offer but you are asking for something that you know I could not possibly produce. How exactly do you suggest I prove that some one from team told me it was ok to run a clutch in a turbo application? I dont record my phone conversations so I guess I am out of luck. I can however again point out that dealers are selling these clutches and specifically stating they work in turbo applications and i can also prove that my clutch was sent to me from team with the additional tungston screws and washers they suggested I use for my turbo application as the person I spoke with informed me the stock weight is not heavy enough. They were happy to suggest and sell the extra weights that just happen to be perfect for turbo applications but i am sure that again wont be proof enough for you. I dont even know why i am wasting my time having this argument with you. If you cant add 1+1 and come up with an answer of 2 there really isnt much else I can do.

Thanks again to everone who took the time to read my post.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Holy cow man.

I personally don't know whose fault this failure was nor do I know what the quality of these clutches is.

It seems like if you spent half the time on communicating with your dealer/team that you have spent over the last couple of days posting on every forum you can find - you might actually get somewhere.

This is not the approach I would take. It seems like you are more after vengeance than actually finding a solution to your problem.

To each their own I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts