Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best metal for building roll bars, bumpers etc?

Chromoly?

What is the best schedule and size of pipe?

Where can I buy it for the best price?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts

Chromoly?

Chromoly or DOM. They will both hold up fine on a Rhino. .095 is safe and light. .120 wall is safer but heavier. Pick your poison.

Don't use pipe!!! It will split at the seam on the first impact.

If you're in Phoenix, check out Tubeworks or Phoeniz Tube. They have great prices on Chromoly and DOM. That's whomost of your fab shops buys theirs from.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello mr. fernando are u buildimg a roll cage for your rhino is it for race or play

Yes mr. Pat, it is already built. Fabricator used 1 - 1/4" 30 sched. He uses it on the 4x4 jeeps here in Mexico and says that this holds well.
I want to build more but I want to do it with same materials that are used in the US.

This one is for play.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Chromoly?

Chromoly or DOM. They will both hold up fine on a Rhino. .095 is safe and light. .120 wall is safer but heavier. Pick your poison.

Don't use pipe!!! It will split at the seam on the first impact.

If you're in Phoenix, check out Tubeworks or Phoeniz Tube. They have great prices on Chromoly and DOM. That's whomost of your fab shops buys theirs from.

Thank you, much appreciated it.

-fds

·
Registered
241 Posts
dom, chromoly if welded incorrect will brake at the welds, use dom 1 3/4 .095 wall and you will be fine.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
chromoly is the strongest use .083 wall it will be strong enough and realy light.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
dom, chromoly if welded incorrect will brake at the welds, use dom 1 3/4 .095 wall and you will be fine.
.083 will crumble on a roll. Use .095 minimum. I would honestly take all that schedule 30 out of there is you are using it for a cage. It's fine for aesthetic items like light bars, but never use it as a roll cage. It will snap right at the seam.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
how much diff is there from .083 and .095 anyways ? chromoly is stronger to so its cool.... people use .095 on mild steel so if chromoly is stronger then im sure u could go down a size.? no ?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
how much diff is there from .083 and .095 anyways ? chromoly is stronger to so its cool.... people use .095 on mild steel so if chromoly is stronger then im sure u could go down a size.? no ?

Same difference as .095 and .120. Chromoly is stronger mostly cause the welds penetrate better. Chromoly is a very brittle material. I've never heard of .083 being used on anything offroad related but aesthetic items like a lightbar and I've been fabricating stuff for 15+ years.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts

Same difference as .095 and .120. Chromoly is stronger mostly cause the welds penetrate better. Chromoly is a very brittle material. I've never heard of .083 being used on anything offroad related but aesthetic items like a lightbar and I've been fabricating stuff for 15+ years.

i was talking to my fatherinlaw he runs tube serive in az fst buys from him ..

he had sum chromoly .083 in stock for cheap .

·
Registered
6,996 Posts

i was talking to my fatherinlaw he runs tube serive in az fst buys from him ..

he had sum chromoly .083 in stock for cheap .
Cuz' nobody uses it would be my guess???

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.083 will crumble on a roll. Use .095 minimum. I would honestly take all that schedule 30 out of there is you are using it for a cage. It's fine for aesthetic items like light bars, but never use it as a roll cage. It will snap right at the seam.

I'm in a tight spot now, the fabricator says that this is what they use for their 4x4 jeep clubs; that they have had several roll overs and it holds fine.

Have you seen them break open at seams on sxs's?

Isn't a sxs lighter than a jeep? Do you think that this fabricator is lying or ignorant?

I read somewhere that depending on design lighter material will hold on roll overs, at the other end I don't want to put anyone riding in the back in any type of risk.

What is wall thickness of sched 30?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
id be more concerned with the size (1-1/4) then the thickness at this point and how its braced. you can build a cage out of thinner tube but will ultimatly end up with the same wieght after you x brace evrything. i would use DOM 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 min .095 with a mixture of .120 where potential better supporting is needed; this is what i use on all my offraod builds/cages and i have never had a problem in any roll overs...

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I didn't even realize til now that 1-1/4" was used. I agree with everything John said. Sch. 30 pipe scares me as well no matter what size. but, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sch 30 is for water tensile strenght and not for structural purpose. Pipe will crack at the seams or welds when bent. Do u have any pics on what they built for you

1 - 20 of 41 Posts