Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put all new pads all around on my rhino basically after 50 miles with some playing in mud and water it needs brakes again. I am going to tear down the calipers and polish the pistons but they were not sticking after I installed the pads. I would have to assume they started sticking at some point to wear the pads that fast.

Are there any pads that are better for the mud. I had this problem on my atv too but I bought two sets of pads for the rhino and will alwasy keep a spare set.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably my fault we played in the mud the rinsed it off driving back and forth in a small creek. I got caliper reseal kits coming and I keep an extra set of pads on hand. Its going to get expensive if I have to do brakes every other ride.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try a set of brass pads
They will not be sanded down like a normal pad.
Used for extreme conditions!

Your on to something there. I have brass ones on the drivers side and they still look new. I hated to miss match pads but they kept giving me the wrong ones after 3 trips I put on what I had that fit. Passenger front and rears are toast. I will make sure I have a spare set of those brass ones.

I got mudmuckers in a few weeks so I hope the next set makes all weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
idk if anybody makes them for a rhino but you could always make your own.
Flat sheet of brass and trace out an old stock pad

·
Registered
24 Posts
they make a solid brass pad is what i am talikng about
Turner cycles sells them for the polaris 4 wheelers idk about the rhino application

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
mud and sand eat them up. i just get the $15 ebay pads. if i have to change them every one or two monthes that is fine. its alot cheaper than running through those oem pads

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im thinking I will get creative with some auto brake pads a die grinder and some expoxy. If the ebc severe duty dont last. I dont mind every 300 miles or so but every 50 miles is not acceptable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks. Thats another Krylon Fusion special.

·
Registered
829 Posts
mud and sand eat them up. i just get the $15 ebay pads. if i have to change them every one or two monthes that is fine. its alot cheaper than running through those oem pads
I like the cheapies! They wear faster but with the rear center brake like the 660 and 450's they need tore a part and the slides re-greased pretty often if not they seize up..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post back and tell you how the sbc sv's hold up. I got mudmuckers in a few weeks. That will be 3 days of mud on 11000 acres. I will be taking a few spare sets with me just in case.
That link i posted has a 3 sets shipped to me for 88 I can live with that its better than 35 a set from cycle gear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought I would post back the EBC severe duty pads are holding up very well. I have over 200 miles on them all mud riding. The rears do make some grinding noises when real muddy but they are working well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.