Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference?

What gram weights are people running in the 4 seater 660 ? want to get the most 0-40 out of it!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You are on the right track with your approach...

I would highly recommend everyone tune their cvt for best 0-40...it just so happens that one a stock rhino 0-300' is in the ball bark of 40 mph...

The stop watch in a fixed distance is far more accurate than the speedo...

The answer to your question is more complicated than you think however...the reason is because it will not be the same for every four-seater...

The variables that matter...not listed in order of importance...

Vehicle weight (loaded with whatever you want to be fastest with), Tire size/weight/tread type, application (mud, sand, hard pack, uphill, etc.), motor power...sheave type...weight type...secondary spring rate...

The thing to do is get the secondary springs available in the range that you know works best...then get at least two sets of weights in the range you know works best...

For example... for a 686 built motor I would get an orange and a purple secondary spring...a set of 14g, 16g and 18g greaseless weights...then go thru the range of weights with both springs and select the set that yields the best results according you and not someone else who is sure they know what is best but haven't done this procedure themselves...

Note that you can split the weights 50/50 so 14g/16g is average of 15g...thus the three sets of weights give you 1g steps thru the range of five settings...that is how you find the BEST set of weights...

Now that is if you want to truly have the BEST... if all you want it to get in the ball bark then you can figure that half way between the two extremes of all the answers you will get on this is a safe place to be... :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ooops...

Sorry I missed the question in the title...!

The benefits of greaseless is quality IMO...the plastic is much higher quality...and while it is recommended you apply a thin film of grease to the tracks with greaseless the amount of grease is infinitely small by comparison...gunked up grease is the source of a lot of problems...

If you are considering greaseless OD Slider weights check with WV Hot Rod Rhino...he sells them...and he can sell you a machined sheave that will give you lower gearing from a stop...a huge benefit with OD slider weights...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops...

The benefits of greaseless is quality IMO...the plastic is much higher quality...and while it is recommended you apply a thin film of grease to the tracks with greaseless the amount of grease is infinitely small by comparison...gunked up grease is the source of a lot of problems...

If you are considering greaseless OD Slider weights check with WV Hot Rod Rhino...he sells them...and he can sell you a machined sheave that will give you lower gearing from a stop...a huge benefit with OD slider weights...
This is one of tow rhinos i have..

here is the setup

25" buzsawl deap lug tires
utvinc machined sheave
right now it has 14g wieghts (measured without the plastic colors)
the prodesign clamp in air filter..

Want to get it out of the whole a little better and also some more climbing power..

would 13g weights be too light?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
greaseless - little to no maintenance, durable, cheaper, cleaner, smoother acceleration wth no shift out feeling found with some machined sheaves.

The way to go for sure.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ooops...

here is the setup

utvinc machined sheave

Want to get it out of the whole a little better and also some more climbing power..

Did you go with a stiffer secondary spring? Also, others here swear by the JBS sheave and how it helped them "out of the hole"..lol..

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ooops...

here is the setup

utvinc machined sheave

Did you go with a stiffer secondary spring? Also, others here swear by the JBS sheave and how it helped them "out of the hole"..lol..
im still not sure on the jbs sheave....i think its all hype :bike4:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

here is the setup

utvinc machined sheave

I thought you were gonna get one for your 800? LOL

I had the same assumption and thoughts about jumping on the JBS sheave as yourself TIL I put all the hype aside and tested a rhino with the sheave installed for me to make my own decision on the shave and was impressed with the punch and power it offered.
Just got one and woke up my ride and it shine the best on the low end power.
Plus - my old aftermarket shave had a nasty crack that could have gotten worse down the road! :eek5:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ooops...

here is the setup

utvinc machined sheave

When considering changing sheaves I would determine if your current sheave has been machined for lower gearing from a stop with round weights...if it has you would do well to get multiple sets of springs and weights in round greaseless...if not already machined for low you would want to do that...with round or od is your choice...I would go for od...

IMO...going to less than 14g is a mistake for most applications...

If it were me I would get a set of 16s and then tune with 14g/15g/16g with the secondary spring epi orange...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The only possible to greaseless in my opinion, is less maintenance. However, that also depends on what mass the weights are (12gram, 18gram, etc).
I have had multiples of the lighter greaseless weights deform in shape.

I prefer the standard round weights with the Yamaha grease.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

I had the same assumption and thoughts about jumping on the JBS sheave as yourself TIL I put all the hype aside and tested a rhino with the sheave installed for me to make my own decision on the shave and was impressed with the punch and power it offered.
Plus - my old aftermarket shave had a nasty crack that could have gotten worse down the road! :eek5:
yah but when was the last time you did maintenance on your old sheave and what brand was your old sheave??

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

yah but when was the last time you did maintenance on your old sheave and what brand was your old sheave??
My old sheave was just over a year old so maintenance was not the issue.
Are you saying if I would have re-greased my old sheave that would have helped it from cracking???? Thats a first! :dunce:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

Are you saying if I would have re-greased my old sheave that would have helped it from cracking???? Thats a first! :dunce:
no but im sure it wasnt working correctly being cracked...so the JBs sheave works better then a broken sheave right

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
no but im sure it wasnt working correctly being cracked...so the JBs sheave works better then a broken sheave right
Haha! Let me ask you a question MRPAT920 - do you still run a sheave with greased weights? If so - shame on you! Thats a thing of the past! LOL
Where did you get broken from? Its still all in tack and in great shape if you would like to test both sheaves out?
Anyways - the crack is thinner then a strain of hair and is not noticeable unless pointed out. This is common on aftermarket sheaves.
From the first day till the last day my old aftermarket sheave was on my rhino - it was the same - performance wise - broken/cracked - or whatever else you prefer to call it....
So to answer your question - YES - my current sheave blows the doors off of my old aftermarket sheave.
I see you are located in Riverside as well as myself. If you'd like we could install my sheave on your rhino so you can test it out yourself?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Haha! Let me ask you a question MRPAT920 - do you still run a sheave with greased weights? If so - shame on you! Thats a thing of the past! LOL
Where did you get broken from? Its still all in tack and in great shape if you would like to test both sheaves out?
Anyways - the crack is thinner then a strain of hair and is not noticeable unless pointed out. This is common on aftermarket sheaves.
From the first day till the last day my old aftermarket sheave was on my rhino - it was the same - performance wise - broken/cracked - or whatever else you prefer to call it....
So to answer your question - YES - my current sheave blows the doors off of my old aftermarket sheave.
I see you are located in Riverside as well as myself. If you'd like we could install my sheave on your rhino so you can test it out yourself?
for your info i run the UTV inc sheave with od rollers and my rhino can do this all day just by taping the gas pedal with 26" big horns

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
for your info i run the UTV inc sheave with od rollers and my rhino can do this all day just by taping the gas pedal with 26" big horns

I am sorry but I call BS - how do I know you didn't do this with your ford pinto? I could Google "skid marks" and find a similar image as your and say "O yeah - here is my" but I dont want to take myself down to the same level as yourself MRPAT920.
Also - whats are the specs. surrounding your engine? cc's?
Put up a video or STFU!

1,651 Posts

nice power brake

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

nice power brake
lol nope no brakes me and rhino dan are going to race to see what clutch runs best..**** i sound like rzr owner..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts