Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with the Odyssey 925 battery? I have put in two new battery and having problems with the engine cranking over. This past weekend, it happened again. I borrowed a friends battery from his Rhino. It was not an Odyssey. I had no problems what so ever. The place where I get the battery, tells me that there is nothing wrong with the battery. I take it in to my guy that works on the rhino and he tells me that there is nothing wrong with the rhino or electrical system. He says its the battery. Like I mentioned, this is the second battery that I will be going through. should I go back to the stock battery? Is there a different battery that I should be looking at?

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
The odyssey batteries are a nice battery, they carry a 1 year warranty. if its your second battery within a year, id check the rectifier.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
what am I looking for in the rectifier? What am I testing for? What is happening is when I go to start it, it seems like the battery is dead or very low. Other times, it starts up right away. When it acts up, I am getting about 9 to 10 volts, at start up. When it is fine, I am getting 12.3 to 13 volts. I just do not understand what is wrong. I just bought one of your volts meters. I did not trust the digital gauge. I am getting +-14 volts.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you need to find out how many amp's it pulling to start ?maybe you have a starter going out when hot?I have odyssey battery's in both rhino's and so do all my friends no one has had a problem.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not have this problem until I put the Odyssey in. That's why I am confused.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
well I just dont think you got two bad batteries but **** does happen!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if it is the rectifier, then that will be an easy fix. Where can i get one, other than the dealer? Ebay has nothing for the 700.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I did not have this problem until I put the Odyssey in. That's why I am confused.
Not sure how good your have the battery charged but the oddessy is going to take twice as long to charge and discharge so just keep that in mind when you are thinking your battery is charged. Sounds.like you not getying it fully charged

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When not in use, I have it on a trickle charger. It was on it all summer. I removed it before out trip this weekend. When we got to out camp 2 hours later, it was hard to start.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
When not in use, I have it on a trickle charger. It was on it all summer. I removed it before out trip this weekend. When we got to out camp 2 hours later, it was hard to start.
first of all where the hell were you Friday? lol

and my buddy who owns a battery shop said do not trickle charge the PC925. charge it hard and fast. they take in a alot of juice quick and keep it.

I just got one from him, haven't installed it yet tho...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had battery issues, bike issues, and Quad issues. It started as a bad weekend. Sorry. I will be out again for Thanks Giving.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would run a load/batt test on it...also not sure how good of a charge you will get out of a tickle charge on that type of battery. Everything i have heard about those batteries seems they charge best when they are getting charged around 14 plus volts 12 to 15 amps. Def might be something u want to look into doing and then see if your still having problems after a good charge

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Well I had battery issues, bike issues, and Quad issues. It started as a bad weekend. Sorry. I will be out again for Thanks Giving.
that's a bummer man... there were so many people there anyway it would have been hard to pick out a few guys.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would examine both the positive & negative battery leads, their connections & grounds for corrosion etc. I have found this issue on my own Rhino after experiencing the symptoms of low battery voltage & investigating I found excessive resistance in one of the cables that looked pristine. After removing the insulation I found substantial corrosion. I replaced all with larger cables & solved the problem plus I noticed a good boost in cranking power after the repair.
I've run the same Odyssey for 5 years now.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked the cables and changed the battery. Still same problem. I am wondering if its the MSD that is causing the problem or the rectifier. The rhino runs strong when it is running. It only happens sometimes with the starting issue. Again, when I go to start the motor, the battery level reads 8.7 v to 9.2 volts. Other times its shows a higher voltage and it starts fine. This thing really bothers me. When running, I both voltmeters say 14.4volts. That tells me the stater is good.

·
Administrator
2,253 Posts
Possibly an intermittent problem in the starting circuit? ...you state sometimes good and starts, sometimes bad and no start

Intermittent high resistance in the ignition switch, starting mode?...in the starting motor itself? ....

sent by my possibly salvagable Droid I

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No How do I check that?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Possibly an intermittent problem in the starting circuit? ...you state sometimes good and starts, sometimes bad and no start

Intermittent high resistance in the ignition switch, starting mode?...in the starting motor itself? ....

sent by my possibly salvagable Droid I
Not a no start, it still start. I need to turn the key to the start position for a few seconds and then it starts.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
the most common problem is the ignition switch and just search the internet on how to check starter draw tons of video's

1 - 20 of 44 Posts