Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me out. Last weekend while riding in the desert during the day (none of the lights were on), I turned the engine off to take a break and then when I went to re-start it, it didn't want to turn over. I was thinking dead battery so I waited about 10 minutes and then was able to get it to start.

As I was riding back to camp, I slowed to an idle and the engine died. I was unable to re-start the engine after that. The engine would not turn over at all. I was just getting a loud buzz coming from the starter relay. I charged the battery completely and have no problem starting the engine.

My concern is that if it was a low battery, why would the engine die while idling? Seems like that as long as the engine is running the battery shouldn't be an issue unless I turned it off and tried to re-start.

I hooked the battery to a tester and am getting the following results:

Engine off - 12.8v
Idle - 12.8v
revving engine - 12.8v
stock headlights on - 12.2v
headlights and spotlights on - 11.8v

I also load tested the battery it falls in the "GOOD" range.

Is this a sign that my stator is bad? Shouldn't the volts climb when revving the engine? I'm afraid to go on a long ride until I can ensure my battery isn't gonna die in the middle of nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I just re-checked the voltage again after letting the Rhino sit for about an hour. Its showing:

Off - 13.0v
Engine start - 11.3v, then immediately up to 12.6v

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts