Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 660 4x4. the rear differential was leaking oil bad. After removing axels to replace seals I found what looked like muddy grease. Bearings where wore out and front drive shaft bearing had a 1/2in of slop in it. So I had apart might as well replace every thing. So i installed new transfer case, new gear that attaches to drive shaft, new axels, new break disk and pads. When done I backed up 10 ft put it in forward went 3 ft and then it stop moving. I got out and pushed while in gear and shaft would not turn. Then i rocked it back and forth and shaft started turning again. I tried driving and again I went about 10 ft and it stopped. The front will pull if I put it in 4x4. My question is did I miss any thing during installation? Everything looks to be in place and tight. Or do I have a bad new rear differential.

·
Registered
07 686, msd cdi, twin-air filter, Tyrex shocks, stage 1 hot cam, lots of old school tuning tricks
101 Posts
I haven't been into a rhino rear end yet, but have a couple ideas. Did you spin everything by hand before driving it to make sure the new rear end spun freely?

I assume the rhino rear end is a standard ring and pinion rear end. If so, there are specific measurements for backlash between the ring and pinion gear. If these are off, it will cause noise from the rear end, and it could cause the rear end to lock up. Did you make sure the backlash was correct? You would need a dial indicator to check. Back in the old days when I worked as a mechanic, backlash was adjusted using shims on the ring gear and crush washers of different thicknesses on the pinion gear. I don't know if that's still the case. If I'm way off base, my apologies, but I'm just throwing a possibility out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts