Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, had our '07 660 running for a while. Went out and did some work to it over the weekend and now it just cranks and won't fire..

Had our mechanic out here and he tore the carb out and cleaned it all out, put a new plug in it and all that but it just still doesn't go. So we took the plug out and here's whats happening.

On the first revolution I get spark, then nothing, then one last spark on the last revolution. Mechanic is saying it's either a bad coil or bad CDI, it's got a Dynatek CDI on it now.. what do you guys think?

Just wanna get the thing running well so I can sell everything and start the SV swap

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Do you have a stock CDI you can swap in there. That would be the quickest way to check if the CDI box is bad.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately no, we bought the Rhino with an aftermarket CDI and it didn't come with a stocker, and we don't have one laying around the shop either. Eh, I I'm getting the coil here tomorrow so we'll see if that does the trick

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Alright, had our '07 660 running for a while. Went out and did some work to it over the weekend and now it just cranks and won't fire..

Had our mechanic out here and he tore the carb out and cleaned it all out, put a new plug in it and all that but it just still doesn't go. So we took the plug out and here's whats happening.

On the first revolution I get spark, then nothing, then one last spark on the last revolution. Mechanic is saying it's either a bad coil or bad CDI, it's got a Dynatek CDI on it now.. what do you guys think?

Just wanna get the thing running well so I can sell everything and start the SV swap
Are you sure you have gas in carb...and that the fuel level inside the float bowl is correct...???

Did you work on it first then it wouldn't run...or was it running...then worked on...then won't run...???

Not clear from what you wrote what the sequence is...but if it has gas and air in the cylinder and fires a spark it should at least make noise...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Are you sure you have gas in carb...and that the fuel level inside the float bowl is correct...???

Did you work on it first then it wouldn't run...or was it running...then worked on...then won't run...???

Not clear from what you wrote what the sequence is...but if it has gas and air in the cylinder and fires a spark it should at least make noise...
Yes there is plenty of gas in the carb, actually it was flooding at first but we realized that the fuel pressure regulator was running too high and the spring on the float was stuck, so that's fixed. And it only sparks on the first revolution when you start it and then once on the last revolution as well.

I would think CDI before coil. Coil would generally spark or not spark.

Nate
Alba Racing
Yeah I'm gonna try both. I got a coil for $15 and the one that was on there was partially melted anyways so I'm going to start there

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think I have a stock CDI laying in my garage. I will look tonight. If I find it you are more then welcome to try it to see if it fixes the problem. You are in West Hills?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I have a stock CDI laying in my garage. I will look tonight. If I find it you are more then welcome to try it to see if it fixes the problem. You are in the San Fernando Valley?
Yes! I'm in Woodland Hills not even 5 minutes from you. Tell you what, let me know if you have that CDI in your garage, and when I get my coil in tomorrow I'll let you know if that did the trick. If not, I would LOVE to borrow your stocker to isolate the issue

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
James,

I could not find my stock CDI box. I must of put it in my trailer with the rhino. Both of which are stored in Glamis right now.

I will call my friend with a rhino and see if he has his stock one laying around.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My aftermarket cdi did something like that, but it would only spark once when cranking, then once the motor started it would work fine. It would take forever to start.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the pick up coil on the 660 goes out a lot .

so i would bet it is that if the cdi is not the problem ..

ricky stator sells them i think its like 35 bucks..

Brad

paraprosracing.com

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the pick up coil on the 660 goes out a lot .

so i would bet it is that if the cdi is not the problem ..

ricky stator sells them i think its like 35 bucks..

Brad

paraprosracing.com
Do you or anyone know how to test the pick up coil? I'd love to test it before I buy a new CDI tomorrow and find out that's not the issue..

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I wish I had my stock CDI for you to test to make sure.

Which CDI do you have in there now? Depending on how old it is maybe the maker would warranty it for you.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish I had my stock CDI for you to test to make sure.

Which CDI do you have in there now? Depending on how old it is maybe the maker would warranty it for you.
No problem man I appreciate the help though.

It's a Dynatek.. I'm gonna just pick one up tomorrow and see if that helps...

I did go out and test the pick-up coil and it tested to spec, right at 514 or 522 and it said it was supposed to be at 500 +/- 50, so it's not the pickup coil.. gotta be the CDI..

I'll let you guys know by Monday!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts