Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 660 backfiring when gas is released esp going down hill also bogging out when a speed of 45-50.. Hopefully someone can help.. Thx

·
Registered
07 686, msd cdi, twin-air filter, Tyrex shocks, stage 1 hot cam, lots of old school tuning tricks
106 Posts
Backfiring is usually due to an exhaust leak. Improper jetting can also cause backfiring, but if it was running fine and then just started backfiring, I'd look for exhaust leaks.

Regarding the bogging out, your primary sheave may need servicing. You can check this by removing the plastic belt cover on the driver's side of the engine, then starting the motor and revving it up. Watch the travel of the belt on the rear pulley. If the belt doesn't come all the way to the top, your sheave needs to be serviced.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Concur with Racerdave.. If the exhaust leak is not fully audible take a piece of copper tubing long enough to go from your ear to around the exhaust pipe (close to the cylinder head) - like using a stethoscope - just don't let it blow your brains out..:giggle:

·
Registered
100 Posts
2004 660 backfiring when gas is released esp going down hill also bogging out when a speed of 45-50.. Hopefully someone can help.. Thx
Mine was doing the same thing because the fuel filter was clogged. Before I figured out that it was the fuel filter, it got so bad that after running it for a while it would start bogging, backfiring and die. After waiting a while so the the vacuum pressure in the line between the pump and the filter to leak down it would crank and run fine for a while again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry. Fuel filter is located under the passenger's seat in the line going from tank to fuel pump. When changing the filter, use this time to switch the filter lines. Put the short one between the filter and the pump between the tank and t he filter. Put the long one between the tank and filter between the filter and the pump. This will make changing filters much easier. I change filters every time I change the oil. Filters are cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts