Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 660 Special Edition and the left rear axle is constantly popping out. There is also a significant negative camber but *only* on the back wheels. (They are toed in at the top.) Could this be the cause of the axle popout issue? If so, what do I need to replace to restore a "normal" wheel camber? I've replaced that axle before with a "Bravex" off Amazon, but it hasn't helped.

Seems like this is not uncommon but I'm not sure what to replace in my case. Thanks everyone!

Preston

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Others have mentioned ur knuckles may b upside down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
After going back and looking at ur pics with my glasses on they look correct,, but there have been posts on here lately about axle poping out and axle rubs and its been the hub(knuckle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you. Do you think the camber looks correct? I have no frame of reference but it seems really saggy and I’m not sure if something is getting sloppy ... trying to get it reliable for the AZ UTV Rally in a few weeks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok thank you. Do you think the camber looks correct? I have no frame of reference but it seems really saggy and I’m not sure if something is getting sloppy ... trying to get it reliable for the AZ UTV Rally in a few weeks!

I think the problem is your garage floor is too clean causing the picture to be distorted? :grin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL .. hey a clean floor makes at least +10HP ;) Seriously though it makes working on anything much more enjoyable.

New wheel bearings came in today so I'm going to start ripping it apart tonight. There is also a whining sound that I think is some unhappy bearings crunching around and creating slop. That's the theory, at least.

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL .. hey a clean floor makes at least +10HP ;) Seriously though it makes working on anything much more enjoyable.

New wheel bearings came in today so I'm going to start ripping it apart tonight. There is also a whining sound that I think is some unhappy bearings crunching around and creating slop. That's the theory, at least.

Good Luck! Get that thing fixed so you can sing Hoppy's "Happy Trails" song....

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts

Come on sandbuster, it is Roy Rodger. Hoppy never sang a song.

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Might be your rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts

Come on sandbuster, it is Roy Rodger. Hoppy never sang a song.

Okay that does it - time to sell the Rhino when I can't remember a simple thing like that! :sad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check this out .. been ripping it apart to replace all the rear wheel and knuckle bearings, and the right rear cup assembly was a glitter party. Literally shards of CV fell out with the bearings all clumped in a ball hanging on for dear life, lol. The boot was the only thing holding it together. Got the new axle, wheel bearings, knuckle bushings all replaced on the right rear, soaked everything in solvent prior to reassembly and repainted. Feeling much more solid now and I tell it feels less sloppy. Hope finishing up the left will finally solve the axle drop out. Before/After attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
It would be helpful if there were more details about your Rhino, like does it have a lift kit? What is shape of your control arm bushings, is there a lot of movement? How many times have you removed and reinstalled this axle? Have you tried replacing the circlip ring on the end of the axle (or whatever it is called)? Check manual but believe it is recommended to replace this spring ring every time and when it gets worn it will not hold the axle in very well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check this out .. been ripping it apart to replace all the rear wheel and knuckle bearings, and the right rear cup assembly was a glitter party. Literally shards of CV fell out with the bearings all clumped in a ball hanging on for dear life, lol. The boot was the only thing holding it together. Got the new axle, wheel bearings, knuckle bushings all replaced on the right rear, soaked everything in solvent prior to reassembly and repainted. Feeling much more solid now and I tell it feels less sloppy. Hope finishing up the left will finally solve the axle drop out. Before/After attached.

Sorry to hijack the post but it appears you have the stock Yamaha a-arm bushings in this rig. If so, I HIGHLY recommend getting in touch with Tinken here on this forum and see if he has any of his aftermarket a-arm bushings left. I installed them and they are the cat's meow. I too had a slight inward camber on my left rear and those bushings completely eliminated the camber.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've replaced that axle before with a "Bravex" off Amazon, but it hasn't helped.

Preston
I've replaced that axle before with a "Bravex" off Amazon, but it hasn't helped.

Preston
Did you replace the OEM axle ?
Did you compare the new axle length to OEM ?
I had something similar happen to me recently and I discovered the TUSK axle (OEM replacement) from Rocky Mtn. ATV was 3/4" shorter than oem.
When mine popped it seperated at the cv joint and thankfully I was close to camp when it did.

RMATV has since removed their Tusk brand (right side) axle from the website

How was this even working ? without sounding like a metal recycling plant ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hijack the post but it appears you have the stock Yamaha a-arm bushings in this rig. If so, I HIGHLY recommend getting in touch with Tinken here on this forum and see if he has any of his aftermarket a-arm bushings left. I installed them and they are the cat's meow. I too had a slight inward camber on my left rear and those bushings completely eliminated the camber.

That is really good to know! I took a video of how beat up they were and will share when I'm done. I think the kit I got for those knuckle bearings is a Boss Bearing and the wheel bearings from Iconic. I'm also replace the circlips on the rear left with an OEM just in case the chinesium one I have is out of spec.

I wish I had more info on this thing, but I bought it as-is from a guy who had it for only a few years and with no maintenance logs from the original owner. It also has some wonkiness going on with the fuel pump, but that's for a different week...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you replace the OEM axle ?

Did you compare the new axle length to OEM ?

How was this even working ? without sounding like a metal recycling plant ?

I have no idea what's OEM and what's not and don't even know how many owners it's had: makes it much harder to diagnose since I have no "known good" parts on hard.

The right rear boot grease was so muddy and nasty it was almost like glue. It held the shrapnel in place in such a way that it would even still rotate when I had it lifted. Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2008 700 SE machine so I dont know if the axle lengths are the same, but here are a couple pics of my measurements from my stock axles.
One is with the axle compressed and the other is with it extended.

Maybe someone here can chime in with measurements from the same year as yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally diagnosed and fixed!

I replaced the control arm bushings for both rear wheels, and wheel bearing for all four wheels. Resolved the negative camber, was super happy and took it for a drive. Instantly pops out when going over the curb! Damn rear left came out again. Much swearing. I finally had enough and ordered a completely different brand of rear left axle.

I have been running a "Bravex" rear left axle for 6 months in this 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 Special Edition, which this axle is advertised to be for and you'll find here with a 4.5 star rating: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8BYGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . It turns out that this Bravex axle is nearly ONE INCH SHORTER than what it should be. Here are several pictures of what it looks like next to a "NICHE" axle that AFAICT is spec length both compressed and fully extended. You can clearly see that the shaft portion of the Bravex is much, MUCH shorter. (Bravex on the left, NICHE on the right.) It is total trash and I will be following up with Bravex directly on all the damages this part has done to my vehicle.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY BRAVEX!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the update and good luck with your complaint

1 - 20 of 22 Posts