Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace the driver side rear axle seal and got as far as the axle nut holding the hub in place. It's not the castle nut with cotter pin, but the type that is punched into the keyed part of the bolt. I tried a breaker bar and was unable to remove it. I own zero air tools or a compressor to run them. If i were to borrow these can I run the nut off the bolt, or do I need to pry the bent section up so it does not damage the bolt? I probably should take it to somebody to have it done, but I wouldn't be a man if I didn't try and fail first! Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. No trailer yet, that's still in the works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Harbor Freight - Electric impact ...about 30 bucks works like a charm.

·
Registered
260 Posts
electric impact will work. harbor freight is a cheap solution, but may not last as long or have the power as the more expensive name brands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your in a pinch and happen to have a small torch, heat it up a bit and your breaker bar should break it loose. I've have to do thus a few times out on the trail. Just make sure you've bent the crush sleeve back out so it's not catching on the axles keeping it from moving.

·
Registered
13 Posts

One foot on the tire, and one on the wrench. Good thing I get lots of gravity... I ground the nut down with a $25 home depot grinder before hand. Probably too much grinding, but I got carried away and I was replacing the whole axle.!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up an electric impact from harbor freight. I know it's cheap but it will serve it's purpose for me. I got the seal replaced and it's not leaking. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
170 Posts
x2 on a bit of heat

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ones on mine are 32mm. They are the style without a cotter pin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Knock the edwge of the nut back out; (right where it is pushed into the SLOT) then use a 32mm socket with a electric impact and it will come off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got this handled. See my other thread for rear diff leak onto rear drveshaft. Sprung a new leak, now trying to figure out how to remove the rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a stuck axle nut on a 2004 660. Have not tried heat yet. I did try the air impact and electric impact and a pipe on the breaker bar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts