Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but did not find a subject on installing an auxillary battery in an 08 and up Rhino.

I'm thinking I'd just manage separate/alternate charging with a "House"/"Spare" switch like is on some boats (vs an alternator) and simply keep a battery tender on both batteries when not in use.

Under the passenger seat looks like a natural place (obviously), but I was wondering if anyone has installed one elsewhere. ...and if so do you have pics and parts lists showing the tray/cover/cabling and throw switch options.

Thanks in advance....

- Robert

·
Registered
357 Posts
I searched but did not find a subject on installing an auxillary battery in an 08 and up Rhino.

I'm thinking I'd just manage separate/alternate charging with a "House"/"Spare" switch like is on some boats (vs an alternator) and simply keep a battery tender on both batteries when not in use.

Under the passenger seat looks like a natural place (obviously), but I was wondering if anyone has installed one elsewhere. ...and if so do you have pics and parts lists showing the tray/cover/cabling and throw switch options.

Thanks in advance....

- Robert
i have 2 battertys in my 08, it is on a swich, i can post pics later, its under the hood

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NWRhino, Excellent... Thanks. No urgency - Looking at box-top stock-looking switch/fuse, light/horn switch options.

I am from the"Show-me" city. Plcs YES....

Being a bike rider I was actually looking at a bike bar left-right, lights-up, horn down handlebar mounted thumb solution.

Why learn anything new is my thought......

·
Registered
190 Posts
IMO the best way is to use either an after market battery bracket under the hood or you can do the under the seat method. Use an isolator that will charge the second battery when the machine is running. Here is a link to a smart isolator from BRP that looks to be the best IMO.... Smart Battery Separator/Interconnect - Black Rhino Performance
They also sell a kit.
It costs a little more then your idea but it helps maintain the battery without all the battery tender stuff.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SoArk: Kewl.... That's better than a switch !

The battery tender is only for the garage, but the device you pointed out would still switch the battery.

The mount and Oddesy battery with the smart charger is $503. :eek2:< Yikes...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LVR/Marcel: Excellent info... Thanks.

The cool thing about some of this Rhino stuff is adding your own improvision to some of the (re) engineering. ....with risk of failure of course.

I'm sure I'll burn a few fuses along the way. Oh well.. * laugh *

Thanks again... Merry New Years.

- Robert

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Anyone know the output of the stator on the 700's and can it keep up with 2 batteries?

Looking forward to the pic's and progress X.

Happy New Year Y-all!

·
Registered
398 Posts
From the shop manual:

AC magneto
Model/manufacturer F004T39372/MITSUBISHI ----
Standard output 14.0 V 33.5 A at 5,000 r/min ----
Stator coil resistance/color 0.099 ~ 0.121 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)/
33 amps charges mine just fine, but if you have 6 driving lights going at 100 watts each, you are going to run down your battery, LOL.

Just depends on the load you put on whether that is enough for you. Don't forget the basic load, like cooling fan, fuel pump, ignition, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts