Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are all the sheaves the same? i have a utv crap sheave and seen now that there is a couple other people making them i got to thinking and wanting to know what sheave is the best out there for both low end and top end gain?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i asked... anyways.... going Greaseless just thought id ask if anyone has made a "better" sheave

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Just sayin.... Seems most like the jbs right now. But utv inc says they do the same thing with there sheaves. Never had either both have been very helpfull to me when i had any questions.... That said James is closer to me so i would buy from him if i was in the market.. I like to buy local when ever possible. What weights are you gonna try?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a older utv crap sheaves.. i think i have 12 or 13 gram weights now i need to make sure what i got and i want to try mixing half my light weights with my stock weights before i do order any to see if i want something alittle more or less thne what i have.. also i looked into the Greaseless roller weights and Greaseless od weight alittle lost on how they are diff at the same weight

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The od you CANT run in the sheave you have. It is machined on the outer edge to allow the round weights to roll out more to let the belt ride higher on the sheave making more top end speed. The od weights are an odd shape wich does the same thing in a stock sheave. If you are running that light of a weight its gonna limit your top end speed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i understand that without modding my sheave the dont work but thats what i dont understand if utv crap and them do the same how will the not work with modding the inside like hot rod does? also yes i under stand that but chris said with a low-mid cam, org spring, 27"+ tires and mud riding i will need lighter weight then stock those was what he helped me pick out. i would like alittle more all around "power" from the clutch im happy with the power the motor makes but it seems like the clutch is not setup 100% right feels like the motor is in or out of its "power band"

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea forsure i also feel that maybe the thickness/dirtyness of the grease could be why my clutch dont "feel" the same cold as it does after riding for abit

I would for sure go grease less!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hot Rod dosent mill the outer side of the sheave just the inner side thats why he uses the ods to get the top end also. Utv inc mills the inside and the outer side and uses the round weights to get the top end. As far as helpin pick your weights im not gonna be much help for ya. All i have ran are 18g then went to 14g. I really like the 14g but my motor was stock.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oo i see now thanks for clearing up but they did that made it alot easier to understand.. yea for the weights i think ill be testing changing and mixing tell im happier but to me my rpms always seem to high so im thinking more wieght will lower the rmp at any one giving point right?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Imo, i would go with the jbs, use your old as a paper weight. James sheave has awesome low end power and pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter. Some say they are the same, but i cant figure out how they are the same when some take a shim to acheive almost what the hot rod sheave does. To top everything off, James' customer service is second to none! Take a couple of minutes and call james and talk to him about his sheave, he will set you up and tell you what weights are the best for your setup.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im like 6+ hours away im thinking thanks for the offer man that would be great. i know noone close at all not even a stock rhino close so i really have no idea how much better or crappier mine is.. i know if i floor it from a stop in the dirt it will spin maybe 2-5foot and after a few more feet it seems likes the motor is "pinned" 40-45 it will do kinda easy 50-55 is really reving it and dont clim as fast as i see alot of rhinos do with the same mods.. also i have never got to the revlimiter in high or low.. yea he seems like a great guy if hes able to take calls this late id call after i eat id love to know more about how the weights/springs/sheaves work togather

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no i do not

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha i feel dumb and schooled at the same time james is alot of help.. from the way he told me about the clutchs others have told me wrong or i understud what they said wrong and he cleared all that up and gave me the info i needed to understand how it works and what i need to do to get the power band i want

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im taking the clutch apart today to check what weights are init and change the grase in the 2nd would it be worth the work and cost of a gasket to take the wet clutch cover off and check it? im thinking come spring im replacing it with a new stock wet clutch or a dr pully wet clutch when i change the crank for a weled one with a aftermarket rod and new bearings/oil pump

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.