Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wondering...another bird brain idea?...my rhino cam with a winch plate and reciever hithch on the front..the PO removed the warn w...so i have a nice plate there...i need a larger battey...i was wondering if anyone has put a car size battery in that front local?...and hows it working out?....its down low and out front so it sould help with center of G...and i would ditch the small interstate in the stock box

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i read the thread on the Li Fe's...and the 925 is 175 bucks right?....I was thinking a nice group 24 is like 50-60 bucks...my interstate in the stock local is 8x5 wide...not much bigger that a cycle bat...i think a G 24 would work great..and fit down low and out front

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I gotcha I was thinking that the huge Li Fe battery would be lighter than the stock battery and fit in the same box with the capacity of a good sized car battery...

$300 more... but it does solve the whole weight and cog vs capacity problem w/o having to fabricate anything...

Have you also looked at the mounts that place a car battery behind the radiator... IMO that would be the ideal location to mount a big/heavy battery that won't fit in the stock box...

I know that is not what you asked but just saying... :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+ i can find a near new truck battery on craigs for like 25 bucks...if they work running in a truck with heater, lights,wipers radio and all that jazz?...should work in a 700cc no prob

·
Registered
86 Posts
I only have one large Marine battery on my machine. Previous owner did it. The battery is under the drivers seat and mounted with a hold down set. No issues with it so far and he ran the big battery for a year before I bought the machine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A couple of things you might want to consider.

Mounting it that far out front will cause much more bouncing and vibration than mounting it a mid area, like under the seat etc. I have found that the led acid batteries they use in the regular automotive industry have a problem with the cells breaking internally and causing them to fail.

There is also the safety issue of a front end collision and the battery busting apart and spilling acid or shorting out.

If you do mount it up front I would suggest some type of plastic enclosure (battery box) and put a thin piece of rubber under it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ken...thats the input i'm after..i have a black box for it (free} and would mount it well....but the bouncing and acid is a good consideration...i might want a sealed unit...like a altima...see those cheep on craigs as well but more than a lead/acid...but needed

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
thanks ken...thats the input i'm after..i have a black box for it (free} and would mount it well....but the bouncing and acid is a good consideration...i might want a sealed unit...like a altima...see those cheep on craigs as well but more than a lead/acid...but needed
A "sealed battery" is often called an "SLA", which stands for Sealed Lead Acid.
There is still an acid leakage problem if the case is broken in a smash-up. This battery smashing would be much more likely to happen if it was mounted where a winch would be mounted. I would consider that quite a safety hazard.

This battery breakage issue would apply to any battery that I can think of. Ford is having quite a tussle with Lithium battery fires after crash testing their new electric automobiles.

Keep the battery in a well shielded area, just like you would the gas tank.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok after looking at my front end better....it was dark when i had idea...my winch plate is not that big...and my bat box whould be tight...and hight wize it would cover bottom half of rad...so i think under drivers seat would be better...but thats where the box is for my heater..but i just redid the fan on my heater cuz PO got it covered in mud under seat...and ater my last water crossing my fan is not working again...so i might need to move my heater somewhere diff...or i'm thinking of sealing under seat better and have heater and batt under there...the heater box is mounted dead center..and wasts space

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Have you also looked at the mounts that place a car battery behind the radiator... IMO that would be the ideal location to mount a big/heavy battery that won't fit in the stock box...

I know that is not what you asked but just saying... :)
This is the logical choice IMO...it has been done many times...there are a few pre-fabbed mounts for this on the market...at least there have been in the past...you should at least consider it before re-doing everything you have now...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats right craig...i forgot that spot...we have steel at work...i could have the guys weld me somthing that will fit were the 700 air box is...and my heater is all plumed ...just need to seal that area better....and i can get a winch...i often have idea's...i never thought i'm always right...thanks guys

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yeah there is plenty of room on a stock 660 to do that...the ones I have seen done and/or for sale have the battery sitting in the open well just behind the radiator fan...same general area as the 700 intake but lower and farther forward I think...puts the weight in the center of the vehicle and it is fairly well protected and easily accessed location relative to other choices...

Shouldn't be too challenging to fabricate a good holder...lots of people have done it...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i just run a second battery on drivers side under hood fits great run all assesories and altenator off that battery and have the other for machine and stator only. i do run 2 of the pc batteries never a problem and looks great. i used a tube mount off someone sold off here cut it welded it had it powdercoated and it sits right by my heater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.