Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
you can get a metro for about nothing, the bbk's and conversions cost a ton, think thats the point here.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
you can get a metro for about nothing, the bbk's and conversions cost a ton, think thats the point here.
Remember, the gearing will be really low, if this was set up with the transaxle driving the front and rear "differentials". Sort of a double reduction in the gearing. Has the question of "how fast will it go" been asked and/or answered?

The final drive ("differential") reduction is 33:9 (3.7:1). So the best you could expect would be around 1/4 of the maximum road speed of the original car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good point, but not everybody wants to go 80-90mph in the sand and only have 2WD. Some of us on here like trail and mud riding, don't need speed, just some good ole low end torque and 4WD.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Good point, but not everybody wants to go 80-90mph in the sand and only have 2WD. Some of us on here like trail and mud riding, don't need speed, just some good ole low end torque and 4WD.
Something that might redline at 20 or perhaps 25 MPH?

·
Registered
460 Posts
i wish this thing had lower low range alot of times, and i almost never go 25. only on the road if i have to cut in between trails for some reason

·
Registered
288 Posts
Something that might redline at 20 or perhaps 25 MPH?
Not quite that low SteveS, but low enough to turn 30-32" tires in good ole south Louisiana Gumbo or Black Jack Mud. I forgot to quote my post it was aimed at hotrod##### that kept insisting on R1 or SV1 swap. That swap just isn't for everybody.

·
Registered
460 Posts
alot of people focus on whats best for their area, but for alot of the east cost that ride in woods, mountains, and mud that would be a much better setup than any million hp motorcycle stuff. something that high revving would never get anywhere around here.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am in the process of doing the geo/rhino swap so I will try and post picks and info.
Looking forward to the pics.

I started my engine swap build because I wanted more engine to take me, my three bird dogs and my gold prospecting gear, S L O W L Y, up steep mountain, donkey trails. I towed a small trailer (with gear in it) to keep the weight off of the Rhino. The Rhino is a good vehicle choice, BUT it lacked the power.

A Suzuki Samurai (with a 1.9 turbo diesel engine swap) would have been the perfect vehicle, but it was too heavy for my toy hauler.

As said above, not every one wants their Rhino to do 80mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I,am doing it with the 3cylinder turbo /5speed. I am gonna Lincoln lock the transaxle,my buddy has the shifter figured out so just have to find the time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well come on Raunchyrhino, I want an update! How's the rhino project going? I'm stuck between an 09 GSXR1000 swap or the geo as I have both on tap :) Low end being the goal, whats the answer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have the motor placed in the machine. Trying to figure out the drive shafts for the diffs. Can't decide on u joints or cv joints. Couple more weeks and it should be ready to test. I will post pics as soon as we are finished. We are gonna run the turbo 3 cylinder so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have the motor placed in the machine. Trying to figure out the drive shafts for the diffs. Can't decide on u joints or cv joints. Couple more weeks and it should be ready to test. I will post pics as soon as we are finished. We are gonna run the turbo 3 cylinder so it should be interesting.
I know that you have figured this out. But, just in case you forgot, have you verified the rotation of the engine? You may have to place the engine in the chassis backwards to get it to work right.

When I was looking into my VMAX engine swap, I ran across a post where I guy just connected the drive shaft from the engine to the rear diff. He had five speeds in reverse.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any progress on this. Motor took a dump on my '04. For simplicity why not just go withe an about tyranny? I'm in WV so woods, mud, and mountains are the order of the day with Farm work in between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Any progress on this. Motor took a dump on my '04. For simplicity why not just go withe an about tyranny? I'm in WV so woods, mud, and mountains are the order of the day with Farm work in between.
Are you trying to say 'without a transmission'? You would likely be unhappy with only 1 speed, no clutch and having to get out and push to back it up?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts