Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 700 since 2009 and it’s been an amazing machine. Had my minor issues with it but love it.

so this is weekend we are riding, hit a muddy area and gun it and all the sudden it dies. Just dead. Turn the key and see the code 12. Won’t turn over, starter relay clicks. Have a new relay on the way, but I know the crankshaft position sensor is what the code says the issue is...but I cannot find a P/N to order a new one. For the last year or so I have had the issue with the fuel pump not kicking on a start up, but that typically goes away after a love tap on the the relay. Any chance that is the culprit? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Won't turn over? If it won't crank over and starter relay is clicking away I would suspect a battery issue (low voltage will cause relay to click). Don't be fooled by a voltmeter showing 12 volts on your battery - the battery may indicate 12 volts surface charge, but fail under load. Should start by load testing battery - a bad battery causes all kinds of crazy symptoms.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ll check that. The way it randomly died mid ride is what concerned me. But again, getting nothing when I try to turnt he let, but the display is still working

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mid ride death? Maybe a stator issue not charging battery? Try charging the battery then, if it starts, put a voltmeter on the battery - should read in the area of 13.8 - 14.2 volts if stator is working properly. If stator failed that would explain why it eventually just died on the trail - you just ran out of electrons...:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ran diagnostics and I see 4 codes, 12, 30, 42, 43. Thinking they all may be related. My fuel pumps primes just fine, though it has had it moments not for the last year. Replaced solenoid and it’s fine. Thinking stator/position sensor is my next task.

Do I need to clear the codes before it would start?

·
Registered
501 Posts
No, I wouldn't think you have to clear the codes for it to start. You just have to correct the condition that generated the code (s). Did you ever get a load test on the battery? Charge the battery then attempt to start it. If, after charging, the engine spins over normally and starts then battery load capacity is likely okay. With engine running check voltage at battery terminals - should be in the area of 13.8 - 14.2 volts (ideally). If voltage only reflects what the charger added then you have a stator and/or wiring issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven’t pulled the battery, but tried to jump it with my truck just to see if I could get anything to change, but still nothing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? If no, you can pick one up from Sears or Amazon for like $20. We need to determine what is causing the lack of voltage to the starter relay - might be something as basic as a bad ground connection to the engine and/or frame. A simple way to determine that would be to take a jumper cable from the negative side of your battery and attach it to the engine block. One other possibility is that the battery is shorted - that would explain why it would not turn over when jumped to your truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts